Toko Oen

Jalan Jenderal Basuki Rahmat, Malang, Indonesia

Toko Oen Malang Reviews

yuness yuness
"Enjoyed the food at the old restaurant" May 17, 2013
Toko Oen is located in the city's iconic tourist area of Malang, it is known as the legendary ice cream restaurant. Many foreign tourists come to this place, for the nostalgic memory of this place and just enjoy a culinary variety and the ancient atmosphere at this restaurant. Many old residents who did move away come back to visit Toko Oen to bring back memories when they were still living in Malang.

Toko Oen is actually unlike any other restaurant. As the Atmosphere of the interior still retains the from the colonial era. The shop Set up in the heart of the city of Malang around in the 1930s was once visited by the first President of Indonesia, Ir. Sukarno.

When you enter the store or restaurant you will be faced with the atmosphere of the past which is still maintained in the famous store, who’s ice cream taste delight your tongue. The vintage chairs and tables fashion and enhance the character of this restaurant, which is located in Jalan Basuki Rahmat 5 Malang. There is a piano, old radio and old-fashioned machine shop, as well as images of the past on display on the walls in Toko Oen.

In keeping with the vintage style our waiters, will serve our foods by pushing a trolley to our table and this with their white uniforms and hats adds to the old world atmosphere , something that is unique and that you might not find on other ice cream restaurant.

The menu of book form looks old-fashioned and is proffered up by our waitress. I ordered chicken satay, lemon juice, and do not forget to try the ice cream. Wow a lot of people really said how Delicious are the flavors of the soft ice cream, which cost IDR 13.000 per scoop, I’m also liking the taste of my chicken satay...taste very good.

With satisfaction of the Ice Cream a guarantee, we are also pleased by the nice culinary cuisine presented in this atmosphere of a past time, that has became legendary in Malang. An icon the tourists love to visit..:)
yuness says:
Yes I tease you :P
Posted on: Nov 12, 2013
IndoIan says:
hmmm Ice Cream...you tease me.
Posted on: Nov 11, 2013
ariwardani ariwarda…
A heritage restaurant Jun 16, 2013
We had our first dinner in Malang in here. I think the food is average, not bad but you can not say it was delicious.

The price is expensive. For example: plain ice tea (no sugar added) cost IDR 10,000. Usually at other restaurants I only pay IDR 5,000 maximum for the same plain ice tea.

Ice cream taste really fresh. I believe if they said they use no preservatives. The look was pale so it must be free of food color too.

I don't see the reason why this shop last for years. Perhaps because of the strategic location it has or because the ice cream. Not sure.

Overall, if you just want to know what it tastes like and you want to experience the ambiance of old times when Dutch ruled in Malang, then you better try this restaurant. Perhaps you can also prove me wrong about the taste. Bon Appetite!
The menu book. No adequate picture…
Inside of the restaurant
Nasi campur (Mixed rice). This is …
In front of the restaurant at the …
Acy_jkt Acy_jkt
A Colonial Landmark May 21, 2010
Toko Oen (Oen Shop) is not just a shop that sells snacks or cakes, but also a famous old restaurant in Malang, East Java. It was built during the Dutch colony after the world war I. The Dutch influence is very strong in this place, even the menu – most food are in Dutch, translated to Bahasa.

Their main specialty is their homemade ice cream (no chemical added), it is so original and smooth, yummy! And their most famous main course are biefstuk van de hass (beef tenderloin steak), dan kippen biefstuk (chicken steak). I never missed their cakes too! Old style cheese cake, tastes very good with their hot coffee.

As the place is so old, so are their furniture, the chairs, tables, lights, pictures on the wall, etc. They also have a solo piano every evening playing old Indonesian traditional songs or western love songs. When I came there, I did not even realize they had live music as the sound of the music and the voice of the singer was so smooth and very nice, just like recorded.

When you have a chance to come and visit the town, it is highly recommended to spend an evening in this place.
Posing with the menu
In front of the Shop
_Jarno_ says:
I like the one in Semarang better :-)
Posted on: Mar 18, 2010