Tojian Guesthouse

Check Kyoto Hotel Deals

Tojian Guesthouse Kyoto Reviews

AlexandraQuinton Alexandr…
A little improvement could go such a long way Jul 09, 2009
By far the cheapest hostel we came across in Japan; only 2000 JPY per night per bed.

It was a little difficult to find, but was within walking distance of the train station and close to the famous Toji Temple.

Once we found the place we entered to find a shrine and a place to remove your shoes. We went through the sliding door to find the tiniest lobby/foyer in the world.The receptionist was asleep behind the tiny desk area, but woke up as we entered.

He showed us to our beds in the neighbouring dorm room. There were 4 bunk beds in a room which would ideally fit 3, so it was a bit of a squeeze. The sheets and blankets seemed a bit grubby and overused but with our faithful sleeping bag liners we were comfortable and secure!

There is also a dorm room upstairs with a further two bunk beds, which has a lot more space, but is also home to the 'dining area' where breakfast is served.

The toilet is located in a tiny room just off the main dorm room. It smelled like it hadn't been cleaned for weeks. It was so bad I was moderately tempted to buy some cleaning fluids/bleach etc and just spray it around the room. (I didn't).

The main issue with this hostel was the bathroom. We heard about the hostel through the Rough Guide guide book, and called to make a reservation. The guide book mentioned that they only have an outside shower, but we figured for the price we could survive. However, there actually isn't a bathroom there.

They subsidise the local sento, so between the hours of 3pm and midnight you can take a reduced price bath at the sento a few minutes walk away for a real Japanese bathing experience.

The reason my review is 'Average' is because had I not stayed here I probably would not have taken a real Japanese bath (Western nervousness) so because I had no other option, it forced me to experience part of real Japanese life, and for that I am thankful.

It was very cheap for Japan, but it could have been 100 times cleaner though, which is why I do not necessarily recommend staying here.

Check Kyoto Hotel Deals