Toeareg

37 Parijsstraat, Leuven, Belgium
Toeareg - My brother eating his appetizer.
Toeareg - My fathers couscous. Don't be mistaken, it is a pretty deep plate, there was more couscous in it that you might think at first sight :P
Toeareg - Gyros, came with 5 or so different sauces and couscous.
Toeareg - My mom and her tajine.
Toeareg - My lovely fish-tajine. Rice comes seperately (can also order with bread, couscous or even French fries), and it had two big gambas on it as well, but I had already removed those by the time we took the picture...

Toeareg Leuven Reviews

Pearl510 Pearl510
Lovely Moroccan restaurant in the center of town Apr 11, 2010
Yesterday we went to eat in Toeareg Restaurant. It's a place I heard lot's of good things about, but I never had been there myself. So I was very curious about it.

Toeareg serves Moroccan food, which I really like. On the menu are many varieties of couscous, tajine, gyros,... and a nice range of mezze/tapas. You can find the whole list on the website.

The food was absolutely delicious and the setting very nice. It is a small restaurant and gets a bit crowded (reservations recommended on weekends) but it all kind of adds to the atmosphere. Service was very friendly as well. We all had different dishes and we all liked our pick.

As a starter we had hoummous, zallouk, squid and a chicken pastry of which I forgot the name. They were all nice tapas, especially the houmous as I really love that!

For mains I chose a fish tajine which was absolutely delicious. My brother had gyros, which were amazing as well. My father is a couscous freak so he had couscous with lamb. Not what I personally like, but he said it was very, very good. My mom had lamb tajine, and she was the one who could not finish all of her dish. Portions are pretty big!

We didn't have dessert but I did had a nice Jasmine thee, of which I forgot to take a picture, but which was served very traditionally on a metal tray and with a lovely cookie. Very nice :) My father had a baileys-like liqueur, which was a great choice as well. My brother had Belgian beer, so that doesn't really adds to this review. Yet I'll recommend it any way as it was Duvel, and that is a fantastic brand :)

There is absolutely nothing negative I can tell about this restaurant. The location is very central, right of the old market, where all the pubs are. I think this is a great way to introduce yourself to Northern African cuisine if you haven't yet tried it, or to enjoy it ones more if you have.

Highly recommended.
My lovely fish-tajine. Rice comes …
My brother eating his appetizer.
My fathers couscous. Don't be mist…
Gyros, came with 5 or so different…
Pearl510 says:
I totally agree. I tried Koutubiya a couple of weeks ago but I much preferred the atmosphere and food of Toeareg!
Posted on: Jan 27, 2011
Freyaa says:
It is the best! (that is off course if you like moroccon food). I am a regular....In Leuven you also have Koutobiya (in Muntstraat). They have more choices but I think the food is much better in Toeareg.
Posted on: Jan 25, 2011
Sweetski says:
Next time I'm in Leuven :)
Posted on: Apr 11, 2010