Tobira Onsen Myojinkan Ryokan

Check Matsumoto Hotel Deals

Tobira Onsen Myojinkan Ryokan Matsumoto Reviews

Eric Eric
Traditional luxury in the wilderness Aug 08, 2015
We were looking for a 2-3 day retreat, outside the bustle of Tokyo, and settled upon a Ryokan in the hills of Matsumoto.

We arrived in Matsumoto after a pleasant 3-hour train ride from Tokyo, and were greeted by a friendly shuttle driver from the hotel. 30 minutes and a bumpy ride up a partially dirt road in the mountainside later, we arrived at a building nestled deep within the forested hillside and situated alongside a small stream.

My first impression of the hotel and the room itself was that it was very old. The room itself seemed spartan, dark, and not the sort of luxury I was expecting given the prices we were paying. The shower smelled a bit moldy, the toilet was cloistered in a tiny room, the furniture (two weathered looking lazy-boy like chairs) was odd, and the walls and cabinetry seemed old and musty. It was hot and there was no air conditioning. The fact that we were going to be sleeping on the floor (albeit on a well padded futon) only added to my consternation.

Fortunately, first impressions are not everything, and the hotel and setting quickly grew on me. Both breakfast and dinner were included in the room rate, and the restaurants of the hotel had recently been renovated. They were very modern and luxurious, with sweeping glass windows that made you feel like you were immersed in nature (without all the bugs). The food was excellent and as high quality as any of the best restaurants we at at in Tokyo. Considering that the meals alone probably would have been $200 / day, I grew more comfortable with the price we were paying for our oddly appointed room.

In addition to the food, the hotel has a variety of hot springs that are located in a few different rooms of the hotel. The “standing” hot spring room was my favorite. It was quiet, had large glass windows that overlooked a forest and river, and was not as crowded as the “main” room. I had it to myself every time I was there.

Do I wish that the room was more modern and well appointed? Yes. But at the end of the day, the dining, hot springs, service, and magical location overcame those concerns, and I had a very unique, enjoyable and memorable experience, and would not hesitate to return.
spocklogic says:
Sometimes the room is 'not all that', so to speak, but the overall experience exceed first impressions. Thank goodness for silver linings sometimes, eh?
Posted on: Aug 09, 2015