Toad Lane Conservation Area

Toad Lane, Rochdale, United Kingdom

Toad Lane Conservation Area Rochdale Reviews

sarahelaine sarahela…
Disappointing little conservation area Sep 17, 2011
Toad Lane is the least impressive conservation area I have ever seen.  It consists of one pub (I didn’t go in, but I am sure it is perfectly pleasant), one toymaker, and a building that at the time of writing is entirely hidden by scaffolding.  I am guessing, because there was no sign to tell me, that this is the Pioneers Museum, which I believe is dedicated to the history of the Co-Op movement.  Although well signposted, it is easy to miss, because it is so tiny.  And although those three buildings may be preserved, it is sandwiched between a dual carriageway and a very modern shopping mall.

Even if you are an avid fan of either co-ops, or pubs, I cannot imagine a circumstance where this place would be worth visiting until whatever is under that scaffolding comes back out.  And even then, I can’t imagine it being worth a special trip.  I am glad I just happened to be passing on my way somewhere else.  As this is a street, access is good (if pointless) and no one tried to charge me any money for this.  There’s no special parking but there is a shopping mall across the street to park at.

Possibly the world's least impress…
not helped by its backdrop!
davidx says:
Not sure - I went there for meetings when I was working and once to the Antiques Road Show more recently.
sarahelaine says:
I admired the outside of the Town Hall very much- possibly more impressive than Manchester's- can people go in for a nosy look? I'm never sure if you're allowed in town halls or not.
davidx says:
I;m afraid I have to agree with your assessment of Toad Lane. Rochdale Town Hall would have made better use of your time.

Check Rochdale Hotel Deals