Kazbegi, Georgia
To Kazbegi by shared taxi - On the Georgian Military Highway

To Kazbegi by shared taxi Reviews

HORSCHECK HORSCHECK
To Kazbegi by shared taxi Sep 12, 2014
On the day I wanted to go to Kazbegi I arrived at Tbilisi's Didube bus station at around 14:00 h with a minibus (marshutka) from Kutaisi. For me it looked like the last minibus (marshrutka) to Kazbegi had already left, but there were still plenty of shared taxis for that route.

One of the drivers got in contact with me and explained that he still needed at least 3 more people to make the trip for 15 Lari per person. He put my luggage in the car boot and while he was searching for more passengers I got me something to eat and drink.

Meanwhile I realised that another driver had already two passengers, but I made clear to him that I already agreed with my driver. When he came back without having found any additional passengers he offered to take only me to Kazbegi for a price of 70 Lari, which I declined.

He then offered me to go with the other driver. Again we agreed on a price of 15 Lari and we left Tbilisi at around 15:00 h for the 150 km trip to Kazbegi. I got in contact with the other two passengers who were construction workes going to a construction site at the Georgian-Russian border. One of them was a refugee from Abkhazia. They were quite friendly and even bought me a bottle of mineral water.

After a few kilometres our driver picked up a local lady and her daughter, so that we were now 6 people in the 7-seater car.

Already at the start of the trip I had asked the driver to take a little break at the Ananuri castle on the Georgian Military Highway. This wasn't a problem so I was quite happy to take some photos there.

Communication in the car was in Russian only and as everybody knew that I was from Germany, the driver also stopped for me at a graveyard for the German Prisoners of War near the Jvari Pass.

A last short stop was made at a sulphur mineral water spring, where everybody refilled their water bottles.

The lady with her daughter left the car just before we arrived in Kazbegi. Then it was me who got off at the main square in Kazbegi, whereas the two other guys continued to the Russian border.

The 150 kilometres trip from Tbilisi to Kazbegi took about 3,5 hours.
On the Georgian Military Highway