Tips to Travel in the Yuctan Peninsula of Mexico

Mexico
Tips to Travel in the Yuctan Peninsula of Mexico - Photo Provided by one of the Tour Companies.  I have also written them up in a review. (Cenote)

Tips to Travel in the Yuctan Peninsula of Mexico Reviews

stephen_j_white1 stephen_…
My Tips from my many travels in Mexico May 14, 2008
Alright for those who have read anything of mine I definitly have my own way of doing things. I have travelled to Mexico on 3 seperate times and my last vacation was definitly the best. I have been to Acapulco, Puerto Vallarta, and Playa.

The thing about the Yucatan is that it has a good blend of resorts and small boutique hotels in the city and on the beach. The other plus to this location is the saturation of things to do that the rest of Mexico can't offer. The final thing I like about this location is how much of an international travel locale it is, instead of just a ton of Americans. I went on one small eco-tour and I was the only American. SWEET...!!! Also, if the Mexican population like to go to this area for vacation that should probably tell you something.

My Tips the Yucatan:

1: Accomadations: Everyone has different personalities, but I feel that the Trav Buddy community, like me, like to immerse theirselves in a locale. If this is true I recommend one of the many beachside boutique hotels that have less then 50 rooms. Service at these are usually awesome and more personal. The staff actually remember who you are. (If you need any recommendations shoot me a note)

2: What to Do: The Yucatan is known for 4 things. The Caribbean beaches in the area, the Cenotes, the 2nd largest reef in the world, and all of the Mayan ruins. Now this is a lot of things but there is no reason why your vacation can't include all.

Personal Recommendations.

1. There are plety of companies that you can find that you can take you scuba diving or snorkeling all over the reef. It is fairly straight forward. A great location to go to is Akumal where the sea grass brings the treasure trove of sea turtles that you can swim with. I nearly ran into one face first. The best part is that it can be free, it is a public beach. AWESOME....

Although, spend the money and bring your own snorkeling equipment. Most tour groups equipment is garbage and for about $65 you can get dive quality gear with a Dry-Snorkel.

2. Ruins are all over the place I would recommend for the ease of travel of checking out Tulum and Coba. Both are really easy to get to in the Mayan Rivieria, and unlike Chichen Itza you can still walk up Coba.

3. Cenotes are like Mayan Ruins they are all over the place. An easy one to get to, but I didn't make it to this one, is Aktun Chen which is a very big one. These are amazing to see up close and personal. Some people even scuba dive them which is really cool. To do that you will have to be open water, advanced open water, and cave diving certified.

4. The beaches which is the real draw of the area are amazing. A fine sand covers the area at the ocean edge. The water is a tranquil emerald green which is unique to the Carribean and the Mayan Riviera.

Whether you are looking for a relaxing trip with plenty of spa time, an adventure vacation, or you just want to be a beach bum this is the place to be in Mexico.

Pura Vida, & Peace