Tips for Paris

Tips for Paris - in the Louvre at my painting

Tips for Paris Reviews

kimokini kimokini
Tips for visiting Paris Nov 05, 2008
•Get a Metro Pass for your stay. Paris has a great Metro system and you’ll probably use it a lot. Make sure to include Zone 4 and 5 if you want to go to Versailles. We bought a week long pass for 33 euro each. The week passes only run from Mon. – Sun so keep that in mind when you purchase.

•If you wish to buy wine do it in the grocery markets. It’s inexpensive all over but cheapest in the grocery stores. You can get it as cheap as 3 euro a bottle. Good wine too.

•You can buy the breakfast package through the hotel for about 10euro a night but for the same amount or a little more you could go to a local patisserie (on ever corner) to get breakfast. Secco, just down the block to the left of the hotel, is a really good patisserie. Note, breakfast in Europe is not like America. Don’t expect eggs, bacon, waffles, pancakes etc… Some restaurants offer eggs but mostly you’ll find croissants, cheese, fruit, yogurt and alike offered for breakfast.

•The Arc di Triomph is free to enter on Sundays.

•Other than one nasty lady at the Louvre the French people were very nice to us. Most all of them spoke at least some English and were happy to help.

•The Louvre is free to enter on the first Sunday of every month. Get there early to beat the line to get in. See the Mona Lisa first also to beat the crowds. We spent 6 hours at the museum and didn’t even see all of it. You may want to plan out your visit before you go.

•The bathrooms in most restaurants are tiny.

•The Palace of Versailles offers discount admission after 4pm but they close at 6pm. Give yourself at lest two hours to see everything.

•St. Germain, Montparnasse and Champs De Elysee are very nice boulevards for a walk during the day or nice dinners/bars at night.

•It was freezing and rainy while we were there. Pack appropriately.

•Make sure your hairdryer is compatible with the European outlets. Not only do you need outlet adapters but your appliances have to be compatible. Otherwise you are stuck using the hotel provided hairdryer. (see pics)

•They sell crepes on the street at night like pretzels are sold in Manhattan. Best crepe guy just down the block from the hotel to the left.

•Using your credit card or taking out a couple of large withdrawals from the ATM is the best way to exchange for euros. Currency exchange shops cost quite a bit but if you need you can find many of them on Champs De Elysee. Most credit cards charge the current Wall Street exchange rate plus a 3% fee for each purchase. Most places accept credit cards but you should have some cash just in case.
david_ruth34 david_ru…
Feb 26, 2008
In may 2005 I went with my girlfriend on a weekend in Paris and I tried to see as much as Paris can propose. First of all we took a metro pass for 2 days, so we could move everywhere and at any time, as it was my girlfriends first time and my fourth I show her the must seen, but we hadn't enough time so we walked too fast, I learned about it, you have to take your time to visit such a huge and beautifull city, cause at the end of the day she was exhausted and couldn't enjoy the evening. At that time Paris was struggling to get the Olympic Games 2018 (I think) and the Eiffel Tower was superbly decorated with flickering lights in the evening, what a view, it's a pity I have no pic of it. We went upside the Tower by day, we (we... no I, my girlfriend on my back) walked also upstairs to Notre-Dame (it was a good training for me ;), the Louvre was also on the program and we went to the Galleries Lafayette (didn't buy anything, a little too expansive) we had a nice walk at the Champs Elysées and went to the Centre Pompidou.
me at the Arc de Triomphe
in the Louvre at my painting
I liked that vue from Sacre-Coeur
Galleries Lafayette
ssoma ssoma
Jun 10, 2007
Stay at a hostel while visiting Paris. I know it sounds cheap, however, there are some centrally located hostels for around 20-40 Euro a night. You can meet people, however, it also gives you a reason not to stay in a hotel and get out and visit the city. The French were great to me while I was there, Paris had the best food, best attractions, and most beautiful city. Dont let stereotypes throw you off, its an awesome time!
MedKate says:
This is true. I have been to Paris so many times and only realized recently how close all the metro stations are to each other. So go to the center in the morning and then walk everywhere! It's cheap and it will give you a much better feel for the layout of the city. You can walk from L'Etoile to the Louvre in 20-25 minutes casually. I recommend it!
Posted on: Jun 10, 2007

Related Travel Blogs About Tips for Paris

Well it’s Paris, what more do I need to say about it? It’s my favorite city! I’ve been there twice before I finally went with my boyfriend last march/april. We staid for 4 days in a nice hotel…Paris-feeling .   Tips & Tricks. Don’t eat sandwiches under the Eiffel Tower. They kost about €7.- and don’t tast…
Picnic at the Eiffel.
So today was our first day roaming Paris without Celeste, who was still present however in the form of her 12 day itinerary for us. haha She must have been either really bored at work or excited beyo…TIP: When in Paris, get a Navigo card (if you plan on staying for about a week). It's a pass…
departing York for Nottingham
Tuesday morning, I gave the girls each a hug goodbye as they left to catch an early bus and I was off to catch a train to my next destination.  At the info office in the station, a worker told m…tips on visiting Paris, should time allow.   She also shared some trivia regarding the places we passed.   Sheffield…

Check Paris Hotel Deals