Tiny Islands Conservation

Naifaru Island, Naifaru, Maldives

Tiny Islands Conservation Naifaru Reviews

Saltwater Saltwater
Help Save the Green Sea Turtle Sep 18, 2011
If you have ever wanted to help the planet and participate in a volunteer program involved with the ocean then this is where you want to be.

I had been looking for a volunteer project for a couple of months but they all seemed so expensive and would have cut my travel time in half. I have always wanted to travel to the Maldives so I decided to type in Volunteer Maldives to the search engine and the 1st one that came up was www.tinyislandsvolunteers.com. As soon as i opened the page i was hooked, quick read through and an email to Anna and i was signed up.

For 3 months all I could think about was getting to the Maldives to help the turtles.

Those months took forever, I arrived in Male the capital of the Maldives on a Tuesday, leaving for Naifaru the next day. That night i meet up with one of the co-ordinators who handed myself an another volunteer 2 1 week ld baby green sea turtles to take with us the the Marine Center on Naifaru, our home for the next month.

I have now been here for just under 2 weeks and i am loving it. Every morning I wake up and head to the Marine Center for a 9am start of preparing fish for the baby sea turtles, changing there water and cutting tuna for the 30+ 6 month old turtles in the floating sea station 75meters off shore.

The group has breakfast prepared by one of the locals in her house, kids all over the place.

11am we head out to the sea station to feed the 30+ 8 month old turtles tuna and sea grass. The tuna is thrown in slowly while they go crazy around your dangling feet. Once the Tuna is all gone 2 of us will jump into the floating cage and swim to the bottom ( 1m and half deep) where will place the sea grass in the cage bottom, again they go crazy.

After this is done i usually sit at the bottom of the cage for as long as my lungs will allow, the turtles swim around you and some nestle under you for a rest. I think there are a few that remember me as one in particular seem to like being tickled on his neck.

Now that this is done we spend the next couple of hours snorkeling, recording what type of fish we see. This is done at several locations around the island. Under the sea station, by the jetty and at the Drop off. Every second week we go to another island for a break and have a picnic lunch, great to relax and see another beautiful part of the Maldives. Every other week we either go to a resort to let out hair down or scuba dive or what every plan come up.

This is by far the most amazing experience i have ever taken part in, The sun, the sea and help out nature is such a rewarding experience.

I hope that you will read this and look into volunteering for Tiny Islands as they always need volunteers.

Happy Volunteering and Safe Travels

Compare Lhaviyani Atoll Hotel Rates (12.1km away)

Tiny Islands Conservation Map