Tinago Falls

Iligan City, Philippines

Tinago Falls Reviews

yheleen yheleen
Tinago Falls - A Hidden Paradise - for only 5 pesos plus 425 descending steps Jun 18, 2008
After visiting my university in Marawi, I just can't go home without going to Tinago Falls which is one of the main tourist attractions in Iligan - known as the City of Majestic Waterfalls.

So, I convinced my father and my younger brother to visit the falls for a few hours before we head home (a grueling 7-hour bus trip).

And, we sure glad we did.

Tinago is a Filipino word meaning "hidden", the falls being hidden in a deep ravine.

To go there, one can either take a taxi to the top of the falls (will cost you approximately 150 pesos to 200 pesos) or if you are a budget traveler (like us), you can take the jeepeney to Buru-un from the city proper (12 pesos each) and then ride the 'haba'-habal' (a motorcyle for hire) for 20 pesos per person.

Just a tip: if you're taking the public vehicle, be sure to make an agreement with the driver on what time you'll be picked up to ensure you have something to ride on back to the city.

So there, we're finally on top of the falls and oh my, we we're told we still have to descend approximately 500 steps which locals call the winding staircase.

My father and I wanted to be sure how many steps we'll be taking so we both agreed to do some counting and yes, there were 425 steps all in all.

Going down was the easier part. The trip to the falls actually exposes you to a variety of wildlife. Today, the trail is refurbished into a wildlife park hosting different species of wild animals.

As one approaches the foot of the mountain, little by little, the beautiful paradise is unveiled. And finally, when you have full sight of the falls, you will surely be in awe of its raw beauty.

The falls is approximately 240-feet high, its very cold waters cascading beautifully into a deep and calm basin-like pool which appears like a blue-colored lagoon.

Under the falls is a small cave where people can enter and listen to the rumbling waters. The foot of the falls is a very ideal place for swimming.

The place also has man-made swimming pools for children. It is truly a majestic place that resounds an atmosphere of serenity, a perfect escape from the noisy metropolitan.

WOW, Wow, wow...

The waters were sooooo inviting and the laughter of the children diving and swimming and having fun in the bamboo raft were very enticing. I can hardly wait to swim myself.

But of course, we still have to settle our things. We were told we only need to pay 5 pesos as entrance fee (very affordable). Also, they encouraged us to wear lifejackets for safety purposes since the waters were very deep. Rentals for the lifejacket were 20 pesos while the cottages (if you want one) were 50 pesos each.

Well, since we were only staying for a while, we decided not to rent a cottage but instead settled on some rocks. We did rent lifejackets, however. It was okay since aside from ensuring our safety, it was a good way of helping the community people who were looking after the falls.

Another tip: if you want to stay longer and have some picnic with your family or friends, do bring your own softdrinks there since the only store in the place sells Coke twice the regular price. I can't blame the owner tho. Remember the 425 steps? hehe..

We had a great time in the cool waters of the falls. Much as I want to stay longer, we have to go since we still have a long trip back home.

That is, after climbing back the 425 steps - haha.. such a beautiful exercise for the heart.

I will surely come back again in Tinago Falls - the majestic and enchanting waterfalls, the chirping of the birds, the fresh cool waters, the trees and the wild animals...ah..who can resist such paradise? ") ")
the beautiful Tinago 'hidden' Falls
welcome to paradise ")
very cheap indeed..
the 425-step winding staircase sta…
Jzecri says:
I'm Proud that I originally seen this wonderful place. Tinago Falls also known as "The Hidden Sanctuary" I was born and grew up in Iligan City . I always remember the times when we swim and sit at the rocks where the waters are falling, and of course the rapid breathing 300 Steps down to Tinago was very unforgettable There are more than 20 water falls inside Iligan City. My Husband and i really miss this wonderful place where we Grew up.!! you can always visit iligan anytime.
Posted on: Mar 24, 2010
yheleen says:
Posted on: Jul 21, 2008
mswim says:
Absolutely beautiful pictures! I'm in awe!
Posted on: Jul 21, 2008