Tin Hau Temple - Yau Ma Tei

Public Square & Nathan Road, Kowloon, Hong Kong

Tin Hau Temple - Yau Ma Tei Kowloon Reviews

Chokk Chokk
I truly enjoyed this place Jan 24, 2012
Just in the neighborhood to my hotel was the Tin Hau Temple situated not far from the highly trafficked Nathan Road. The Tin Hau Temple, together with the Fook Tak Tse, Shing Wong and Shea Tam Temples, forms part of a temple complex in the Yau Ma Tai district of Kowloon. The temples were originally built about 1870 on another site but were transferred to their present position in 1876; they were last renovated in 1972.

The Tin Hau Temple is dedicated to the goddess of that name, queen of heaven and patroness of seafarers. She was born about AD 960, the daughter of a fisherman, and legend relates that when her family's junk was sinking during a violent storm she saved it by exercising her supernatural powers. She is also said to have healed the sick and to have walked over the surface of the water on a straw mat. Associated with her in the temple are statues of other divinities.

I really liked this little place in the otherwise hectic area of town. I found the light inside the temple quite fascinating and so also the colors. It was a calm place and I guess that they were pretty busy compared to normal with the Chinese New Year.
Chokk says:
Nobody said anything to me - but I also tried to be gentle
Posted on: Jan 30, 2012
westwind57 says:
Nice pictures, yes what Nobulo says is true in many temples, but sometimes they are OK with it if you ask. They once explained to me in the main temple of Shatin 10,000 buddha's monastery (will post soon)that if they don't allow it, this is because of your own well being.
Posted on: Jan 30, 2012
Chokk says:
I broke some rules because I didn't see the sign before my second visit there. I was a bit ashamed but very pleased with pictures. The colors were magnificent.
Posted on: Jan 29, 2012

Compare Causeway Bay Hotel Rates (4km away)

Tin Hau Temple - Yau Ma Tei Map