Tikal National Park

Peten, Guatemala

Tikal National Park Peten Reviews

mnsco350 mnsco350
Tikal from San Ignacio, Belize Mar 12, 2011
The main incentive for me to go to San Ignacio, Belize was to take a day trip to Tikal in Guatemala. I wanted to go on a guided tour since due to the short duration of my trip. But that did present a problem since guided tours normally require at least 2 people to be scheduled and I was alone.

I checked online before arriving there, but had no luck. Fortunately, The staff at the Midas Resort was able to arrange a tour for me with another couple from California that were also staying at the Midas Resort. The cost was $135 USD which included all entrance fees, border crossing costs, and a meal at the Tikal site.

We met our tour guide, Allejandro (excellent and very knowledgeable) at 7:30 AM and he drove us to the Guatemala border. After going through the border crossing between Belize and Guatemala we switched vehicles and continued on to Tikal.

The tour at the Tikal site lasted until about 5 PM, and it took about 1.5 hours each way to get to and from Tikal. If you are interested in Mayan ruins, this site lives up to the hype. It is also located in a jungle, so there is plenty of wildlife and shade during the hike.

I also recommend climbing all of the temples that allow climbing as the view from the top is well worth it. Just be warned that the stairway to the top of temple IV is pretty rickety- especially the handrail!
View from top of temple V
Top of temple V
temple V
Stairway to top of temple V
joshuamontreal joshuamo…
Sunset and sunrise Apr 02, 2011
Stayed on site in a private room. Cheap but expensive for guatemLa. All I can say is do the sunset from the pyramid and Sunrise from 4.
jeffy jeffy
Not to be missed!! Mar 10, 2009
This amazing ancient Mayan city is set in the middle of the Guatemalan jungle and immediately conjures up images from old adventure movies. Tikal met all of my expectations and was well worth a visit - in fact, this ruined city may be my favorite destination in all of Central America. In addition to the fantastic jungle setting, the ruins themselves are stunning! Massive, beautiful, and intricate, the city is as impressive as any other ancient site that I have seen.

Tikal receives my highest recommendations and should be on any world traveller's must-see list. I have recommended this trip to just about everyone since I have returned from Guatemala.
sandra_s021 says:
Looking forward to going there in June. :)
Posted on: May 05, 2009

Related Travel Blogs About Tikal National Park

Tikal National Park
Wake up super early to catch my 4am shuttle back to Guatemala City. My recommendation for any tour to Tikal is already be in Guate City. You'll save yourself lots of time and money. Anyway the plan… Wake up super early to catch my 4am shuttle back to Guatemala City. My recommendation for any tour to Tikal
Tikal National Park in Guatemala (Mayan Ruins)
After breakfast at the hotel on Friday morning we booked a tour (just the ride to and from the hotel) to Tikal. It is one of the largest archaeological sites. Being sneaky, Robert pretended we were… After breakfast at the hotel on Friday morning we booked a tour (just the ride to and from the hotel…
World Heritage Sites - Central America
World Heritage Sites   Belize Belize Barrier Reef Reserve System Belize District (sites I, II, III), Stann Creek District ( IV,V,VI), Toledo District (VII)N16 45 0 W87 3 30 The coastal area…Tikal National Park (1979) Department of El Peten N17 13 W89 37   In the heart of the jungle, surrounded…

Check Peten Hotel Deals