Tiger Kingdom

053 860 7045

Tiger Kingdom Chiang Mai Reviews

kristennoelle9 kristenn…
Must Do! Apr 06, 2013
I only had 2 days in Chiang Mai, but I couldn't leave without coming to visit tigers! I took pictures with the smallest, small, and biggest I believe. The smallest were soooo adorable and playful... the big ones were fighting before we went in their cage!! But the trainers had them as calm as ever as soon as we stepped in for our photoshoot. You don't get lots of time to actually cuddle with the tigers...it's more about limited interaction and hitting different poses to get the perfect shots, but it's totally worth it. All of my friends who saw pictures thought it was awesome and were baffled as to how I was just casually playing with TIGERS!?

So. Much. Fun!
ryan707 ryan707
pretty wild experience Nov 12, 2012
For around $50.00 usd you can get the most expensive package that lets you get in the cage with multiple big, medium & baby tigers. They also take some professional pictures of you & put them on a CD before you leave. We went mid morning & had no wait time to get in, even though it was pretty crowded. I never felt in danger the whole time, as long as you respect the rules the staff asks you to follow it seemed like a safe place. The size of the big cats is pretty insane once you get up next to them. The smaller ones like to play around more. I would say this was one of the best things I have experienced in my life & thought the price was well worth it.
applewoman applewom…
What a nice - but expensive - experience! Jul 14, 2012
Half an hour drive by tuk-tuk from Chiang Mai centre.

We visited the little tigers. OMG, there are so cute! And very playful!

It is not cheap at all! And they say you visite them 15 minutes but it was rather busy that day so we didn’t even had 10 minutes with them. We ordered pictures as well. You get 50 pictures on a cd and they were of nice quality.

We had a walk around the park to see the bigger cats. They were all playful as well.

Especially my 11-year old son loved it. You have to decide by yourself if you want to pay so much money! And to me they didn't seemed drugged at all.
Cuddling the small ones.
OMG, they are so cute!
The adult cats are playing.
At the side entrance.
aaronw3 aaronw3
Tiger Kingdom Aug 10, 2011
After much deliberation and research we decided that the Tiger Kingdom's explanation as to why the tigers may seem a little drousy or sedated was reasonable. Their explanation was that tigers normally sleep 16-18 hrs a day and are nocturnal (they sleep all day and hunt at night). When they are awakened all day to play with and interact with the tourists they sometimes get sleepy, as would you or I. They assured us that at this attraction they did not drug the animals as it would go against their principle money earner, that being the tigers.

That being said, this was an INCREDIBLE time. The guides were very kind and informative. I felt safe at all times (even while laying across a 600 lb cat).

While in the cages the trainers have these long sticks with a piece of plastic or grass tacked to the end that they use to DISTRACT not beat the animals, although sometimes as with people and dogs a little smack to get their attention does wonders. I have read other reviews that bring up the point that they don't have any water, which is funny because each of the cages (minus the smallest tiger enclosure) has a large pool for the tigers to swim and drink out of.

It was explained to me that the tigers do not attack people for a few reasons. One, they are fed very well (probably better than most of the people that get paid to look after and train them). Two, they have grown up around humans and are used to them and don't look at us as prey. Three, they are still young and they haven't got the hormones running through them yet to give them that killer instinct (lucky for us). When the tigers get older than 18 months old they are no longer able to interact with the paying customers because their adult hormones start to kick in and they become aggressive and would be a danger to the tourists. It is at this time that they try to find a home for them in various accredited zoos around the world. Or they keep them to breed.

The 30 or so tigers are regularly rotated from larger living enclosures to the display enclosures on a 2-3 day cycle in and a week or more out.

You have the choice to "play" with small, medium and large cats. And apparently sometimes tiny cubs but that option was not available when we went. We chose to do the small cat and large cat encounter. The small cats were cute but they were basically asleep for the whole 20 min we were with them. I would recommend them for young children and those that are too afraid to be with the large cats. We were able to get some great pictures laying next to the cubs though. We didn't choose the medium cat encounter but did observe others doing it. They are like teenagers, very energetic, running around, climbing and playing with each other. It didn't look like you really got the touch this size tiger as much as the others but it did look like they got a few good pictures with the cats laying on a suspended log and the guests standing beside them.

Now time for the big cats. Right before we entered the cage we watched as one of the three 600 lb cats played in his water pool with a slice of a tree trunk that was easily a foot thick and 2 feet in diameter, so it probably weighed around 150 to 200 lbs. It was lifting and throwing this wood with its mouth with ease. My heart was going pretty good by the time we got our chance to lay down on top and next to these magnificent beasts. What a rush. I would recommend this to anybody who is an animal lover or a thrill seeker as it is done with great care and in a safe environment.

I think the total cost was something like 800 Baht for the two sizes.
aaronw3 says:
They haven't reached the mature age where they learn to hunt and kill their pray when their hormones kick in, which is about 3 years old. They are still very large cats though.
Posted on: May 02, 2012
dyron_888 says:
So the Tiger are few months old only?
That's why they just play and don't bite?
Posted on: Apr 28, 2012
chicago_karl chicago_…
Happy Tigers Apr 06, 2011
We questioned this because we heard they drug the animals..but we couldn't resist. When we got there we saw it was sponsered by Citi Bank. Less likely they would risk the PR scandel and sure enough when we walked in there was a tiger flying 5 ft into the air batting at a palm leaf. After seeing all the pictures of people laying with sleepy tigers we wish they were drugged or they didn't put us with that one. They did. We asked so they don't drug them an he responded with a look like "no but I wish they did. Simply one of the most amazing experiences of my life. A must do and they treat their cats really well
Beav_Binet Beav_Bin…
A TIger Prison Sep 04, 2010
For those that have never heard of Tiger Kingdom, it is a tiger park and restaurant where tourists can pay to get into a cage with real live tigers, touch them and have their photo taken with them. There are 29 tigers and one lion ranging in age from three month old cubs to eight year old breeding tigers.

You are accompanied into the tiger's cage by the trainers who carry sticks for protection and to beat the tigers to train them. Feel free to ask the trainers questions like why don't these tigers have any water in their cage? Or how come we can stand next to this big cat without it attacking us? Or what is that stick you're carrying used for? The tigers are very pretty and amazing so you might not have time to think about the welfare of the tigers. If you go because you love tigers you will probably go in and will either be so amazed or terrified that just like I was you will be in a mist and wouldn't even question what should be questioned, like why are the cages so small? Why do they only have concrete or a wooden table to sleep on instead of straw?

If you take a step back, the mist will clear and you might see what is going on. The truth is that the stick is for beating the tigers into submission and that is the only way you can get close to it. If you go near a tiger and it so much as looks at you like it wants to play with you then it will get severely beaten, enough times that by the time the beating is over it would have forgotten what it had done wrong.

If the tiger is sleeping or playing or is just in the wrong position for a good photo, don't worry, the staff will maneuver the tiger, against its will and force it into a better position just for you.

The tigers are kept in their cages for days at a time, even when there is a free enclosure for them to be outside in, some don’t have an outside enclosure at all so spend their whole lives in a 2.5x2.5m cage with no company, stimulation, water or the touch of anything softer than a wooden table. The usual excuse for keeping the tigers inside is that is was muddy outside and tourists don’t like the mud.

A few of the staff treat the tigers terribly, whilst I was there is one trainer would constantly provoke the tigers by poking them and tickling their ears and face until the tiger would get annoyed and gently go to swipe him away, then he would beat the tiger with a stick across the nose, behind the ear, on the front paw and on the rear. Sometimes he wouldn’t even provoke the tiger, he would just beat them because he enjoyed it, he would then grab them and cackle in their face like he was on some sort of egotistical power trip. The tigers were so scared of him that they would literally defecate themselves and coware down to this evil man that if they hadn’t had the brains beaten out of them could kill in a second. Many times I saw the trainers molest the tiger's genitals just for fun. The tigers have electric fencing in their cages to stop them clawing at trees or trampling on new grass. One time I saw the staff wrap the wire around a tiger. It wasn't on but that’s not the point, the tiger was terrified and couldn’t get away. Another time someone else pushed a tiger into a live electric fence so that it got shocked.

The staff seemingly have no qualifications and little education. There is a reason that everywhere else in the world you need a degree to even get close to animals, let alone be in the same cage as an endangered species!

I left feeling depressed, upset, angry and pretty helpless. I had the oppourtunity to talk to the chief tiger trainer and told him exactly what I thought about the place and exactly what is wrong. I posed this question to him; would you wear tiger fur? “No of course not” he replied. But you will come to work and deprive a tiger, that you say you love, of space, water, stimulation and beat them everyday? That is worse than wearing fur, those tigers aren't continuing to suffer. The tigers at Tiger Kingdom are better off dead. There is absolutely no good that comes of Tiger Kingdom.

The tiger trainer explained to me that Tiger Kingdom is a business and that is the bottom line. Money first, then tourists, then about 100 other things, then tigers. He was posed the question; “would you beat a one year old child with a stick?”, he replied “yes, yes I would”! That cemented it for me really, no possibility of change if the guy running the show would beat a child!

The fact is that if a tourist wants to touch a tiger then that tiger is going to have to be drugged or beaten into submission. A friend asked a trainer why there is no water in the lion's cage, he said that he was “too tired and too lazy” to provide it! The trainers will spin lies like the reason the tigers don't have water in the cage is because in the wild they might not find water for a few days. This is not true, a tiger's territory is always situated in close proximity to water. And these tigers aren't wild, they get food everyday so why not water?! The real reason is because they love to play with it which isn't conducive to having a tourist lay on them.

A European standard of zoos is that they have to be doing something to support conservation and education otherwise they cannot operate. Tiger Kingdom, I had presumed ran a conservation program or used their very successful breeding program (approx ten cubs a year) to exchange tigers with other zoos to increase the gene pool but no, there is nothing. They do make it clear that via signage that Tiger Kingdom is “not a zoo, it is a tiger park”, so if there is any standards in Thailand about zoos then that is probably how they get around it.

Please do not give money to a place that takes pride in animal cruelty. Tiger Kingdom has a very pretty face but on the inside it is ugly.
yarayarinha7 says:
Nice post! I saw something similar in the Andaman Islands with the elephants.

Pretty sick!
Posted on: Jan 24, 2013
TheLionMan says:
@A TIger Prison. mate you have no idea. I volunteered there for almost 2 months and although i admit the condition could be better, specially regarding the adult tigers that are prohibited from interacting with visitors, and the occasional over-load of work and 'patting' for the babies, there was nothing majorly wrong with the place in general.

And your comment about beating them into submission? How do you think giving a 250kg, or even a teenage tiger weighing in at about 50-60kg, a stroke with a little fragile bamboo stick is going to affect them? fatally wound them? trust me, as someone who got to touch and feel them every day, I can ensure you they can barely sense that bamboo stick's force, and its merely the movement of the hand of the trainer and the act of hitting that reminds them they have to behave.
And as someone else menioned before, they have a massive pool to play in, and here you are whinging about them not having access to water? or did you expect them to be given pure, mineral bottled-water to drink?

the place isn't perfect by no means, but if you want a feel of a big cats' true majesty, it's as good a place as it's ever gonna get for you.
Posted on: Dec 20, 2011
daniellelooije says:
I o appreciate you are so caring for these animals. The only thing that I wonder is why did you go yourself? I assume you did?
Posted on: Oct 09, 2011
CynthiaCoeymans CynthiaC…
Tiger KIngdom Apr 07, 2010
Last March i was in Thailand with a travelgroup... I originaly wanted to see the tigers in Bangkok who are raised by the monks.

But we didn't have enough time there.

My travelguide told me that there were Tigers in Chaing Mai also.

We had no idea en took the songthaw to thise place... from our hotel in was a 45 min drive to a place outside the busy city.

There you could make a choice... i you wanted to see only the 5 weeks old tiger, the 5 mond years old tiger, the big one from 1,5 years old ... or al together...

YOu don't have to pay for the entrence just for the tiger you want to see..

And i you want you can hire a photogrofer to take pictures of you and let the burn this on a cd for at home...

It was a great experience, i'm glad i did it..

You could pet them en touch the tigers en take beautifull pictures !!
Me with a 5 months old tiger

Related Travel Blogs About Tiger Kingdom

Chiang Mai : Stevie and the tigers.
Today was Steve's Christmas treat to himself.  A visit to the Chiang Mai Tiger Kingdom sanctuary and breeding centre.  I had originally intended to go there on Christmas Day in foolish chri…Chiang Mai Tiger Kingdom sanctuary and breeding centre.  I had originally intended to go there on Christmas Day in foolish…
Tiger Kingdom
Finally!!! We arrived in Chiang Mai around midnight last night. Our flight was delayed almost 3 hours and it was so long to wait at the airport but now we are here!! Kirsty and I are staying at a gre…Chiang Mai around midnight last night. Our flight was delayed almost 3 hours and it was so long to wait at the airport but now we are here!! Kirsty…
Tigers & Longnecks
Arrived in Chiang Mai early in the morning and made it to my hostel Chada House by around 9.30. I arranged trips with the manager (I think) Jojo for my time in Chiang Mai starting with a trip to Tige…Chiang Mai starting with a trip to Tiger Kingdom and a long neck Karen tribe that afternoon. Decided to go for a walk…

Check Chiang Mai Hotel Deals