Tianguez

(02) 257-0233

Tianguez Quito Reviews

Toonsarah Toonsarah
Great location Oct 25, 2012
This small café on the Plaza San Francisco was my favourite spot in Quito – not for the food, which we never got to try, but for the excellent coffee and the great views over the activity on the plaza. We came here several times as it was just a few blocks from our hotel and the coffee served there, for breakfast, was far too weak to satisfy my craving for caffeine! This was the perfect antidote – excellent Ecuadorean coffee in my favourite plaza!

This isn’t the cheapest place to get a coffee in Quito but as in many cities, you pay a premium for the best location. On our first visit I had a double espresso and Chris a hot chocolate (served the traditional way with cubes of white cheese). The bill for these two drinks was $4.80. I didn’t note the prices on later visits but most hot drinks were a bit over $2 – expensive for Ecuador although cheap compared to what we pay at home.

The food menu looked good too, and we came along one evening planning to eat here, as my guidebook said it was open in the evenings, though only at weekends. But we found it just closing for the night so we never got to sample the food.

There is a very good souvenir shop run as part of the same complex which sells a wide range of high-quality crafts from all over Ecuador. Prices are not low, but everything is guaranteed fair-trade so you can be confident that the people who made the objects are getting a reasonable reward for their work. The selection is excellent – so-called Panama hats to Amazonian blow-pipes, Pre-Colombian ceramics, tapestries and Tigua paintings. I bought some really delicious high-quality chocolate, also coffee and a jar of jam made by women in a local cooperative. I spent almost $50 here – a lot of money but I bought a lot of things!

By the way, unlike at the markets, you can’t haggle here – prices are fixed to ensure a fair wage for the craftspeople who make these lovely objects.
At Café Tianguez