Tia Sophia's

210 West San Francisco Street, Santa Fe, NM, USA
(505) 983-9880
Tia Sophia's - Chile Relleno--I went for the green :)
Tia Sophia's - Chile Relleno--I went for the green :)
Tia Sophia's - Children's reading books for families with little ones
Tia Sophia's - Tia Sophia's Restaurant
Tia Sophia's - Fresh Sopapillas--wonderful with syrup
Tia Sophia's - Simple wooden booths line the restaurant.  Notice the syrup bottles on the tables for sopapillas.
Tia Sophia's - Burro Alley--directly across the street from Tia Sophia's

Tia Sophia's Santa Fe Reviews

travelfan1963 travelfa…
Affordable Southwestern Food in Santa Fe Jan 19, 2010
Santa Fe, New Mexico is famous for restaurants like Coyote Cafe; however, the restaurants frequented by tourists can also be expensive.

In downtown Santa Fe, the locals frequent Tia Sophia's, which offers tasty southwestern cooking at reasonable prices. Meals run between $6.00 to $10.00 and daily specials keep the budget in check.

Among the menu items are huevos rancheros and quesadillas for breakfast, with enchiladas, tacos and chiles rellenos for lunch. The chile relleno is especially good and upon ordering, visitors will be asked "red or green?". In New Mexico, typically there is a choice of red or green chiles. I had to laugh that there is a warning on the menu that the restaurant will not be responsible if the chiles are too hot. Living in Texas, I'm used to spicy Tex-Mex cooking but the New Mexican peppers still have a kick. Lunches are served with a side order of sopapillas, which are fresh and hot. A large bottle of syrup sits on each table to add to the sopapillas.

Breakfast is also delicious and I loaded up on blueberry pancakes. Portion sizes are not for the diet or health conscious and my two enormous pancakes came with five pats of butter.

This restaurant is very casually decorated with simple wooden booths. Walls are decorated with local posters, Mexican dresses and sombreros. The staff is very friendly and the locals all seemed to be on a first name basis. During the mornings, anyone from ranchers to skiers headed north were sitting at the counter, while at lunch, local workers filled the restaurant.

I would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting Santa Fe. The locals know where to eat and the prices are affordable for a major tourist area. The only downsides I noticed were that Tia Sophia's does not serve dinner and if you want beer or wine, alcohol is not available.

Tia Sophia's means "Aunt Sophia's" in Spanish and this restaurant is like your favorite aunt having you over for a home cooked meal. I liked this restaurant so much I went twice in one weekend. On my second visit, the owners looked at me and said "Welcome back".
Tia Sophia's Restaurant
Fresh Sopapillas--wonderful with s…
Chile Relleno--I went for the gree…
Africancrab says:
Thanks for sharing, definitely a place to stop by if I'm ever in that part of the woods.
Posted on: Jan 19, 2010