Thrifty Car Hire

Thrifty Car Hire Reviews

genetravelling genetrav…
Thrifty - World's dodgiest car rental company? Dec 21, 2008
I hired a car in Catania, Sicily from Thrifty.

When I went to return it in Palermo on the other side of the island the office was closed (I was told it would be open) and I was left no option but to leave the car on the street (using directions given over the phone to me)

A month later I noticed the 200Euro 'caution' had been charged to my credit card.

I called Thrifty in Sicily and they stated my car had been returned damaged.

I proved to them that this was impossible and then after more research they told me I had a parking fine.

This was also impossible.

After many many months and using my Credit Card Company with the threat of fraud I was able to finally receive my money back. To this day an explanation and apology is still to come.

I have taken this complaint to the head of Thrifty UK, and USA and no one is able to offer an explanation.

The Italian office is now unresponsive and refusing to comment on the issue. It only proves their guilt.

They attempted to fraudulenty charge me and thought I would not notice!

I warn all of you against hiring cars from dodgy Italians! especially in Palermo! make sure you cover your bases and take your own photos/evidence of your car when you return it and do not trust ANY italians to actually do their jobs properly, legally, or thoroughly!

Also, dont expect Thrifty to be able to help you resolve any issues!
DougeeGould says:
This may be an old post but thought I should comment as I had just used Thrifty in USA, JFK,NYC. They are still as bad as they were with your good self and I will never use that company again! I came across your post as I typed 'Thrifty' into the search box on here and yours was top of the list. May we both help others not use that awful company. Peace out
Posted on: Sep 27, 2016
vances says:
Sorry you had to endure all that crap, but appreciate the warning! Thrifty is also a terrible option to rendezvous with a friend in Jordan....
Posted on: May 14, 2009
PrissyT says:
Wow! That sucks on their part.
Posted on: May 13, 2009