Threadgills Home cooking

Threadgills Home cooking - Let's eat

Threadgills Home cooking Austin Reviews

williamsworld williams…
Good Home Cookin' Apr 10, 2008
I have been here many times to eat; the first was a few years ago when I worked with the Texas Hill Country Food and Wine Festival. They had an event here and Danny, the Manager was great. He made us all feel welcome and a part of what he was doing there. The food is all pretty comfort food. Large portions at a good price.

They have two locations in Austin, been to both, and I prefer this one. Threadgills also was the place where Janis Joplin got her start and they have seen such greats as Count Basie and Ray Charles. It is an interesting history. This spot has a beer garden and holds live concerts. I went to one and was the only person drinking wine. I guess that's why they call it a beer garden.

When you dine here, you are served rolls and cornbread, as much as you like. There is a pretty good amount of appetizers, but the portions are pretty big, so we generally skip those. There is so much food on the menu, that's hard to make a choice, but I say go for the famous Country Fried Steak. It is large, so be prepared. It is also smothered in cream gravy, as I found out and had to send it back. Just ask for it on the side if you don't care for it. You get 2 veggies with your meal and that list is just as long as the main dishes. Almost all of these dishes are "southern style" which means they will have pork in them. They do have some vegan veggies like asparagus.

The pecan pie is the best. Save room for it. I love this place and I think anyone who goes there will also find it hard not to go back. Enjoy.
The Riverside location
Country dining at it's best
One of the many paintings on the w…
Let's eat