Thon Budget Hotel Astoria

Dronningensgate 21, Oslo, Norway

Check Oslo Hotel Deals

Thon Budget Hotel Astoria Oslo Reviews

cotton_foam cotton_f…
my stay was okay but quite expensive for a budget hotel (well, its Oslo, that is!) May 24, 2015
To begin with; this hotel’s nightly rate is quite expensive compared to the U.S. standard of a budget hotel. If I remember it clearly, my bill came up to $180.00, for only one night, and the amenities not even paired excellently. By Oslo standard, Thon Hotel has one of the lowest rates.

The facilities are very basic. No coffee maker (but a 24/7 coffee dispenser is at the reception area, and all guests could take for free. No fridge since it is a budget hotel, but there is a flat screen television set mounted on the wall facing the bed. A wobbly desk and shelves to place stuff are just opposite of the bed. The white comforter was too thin, but it was clean. Only one electrical outlet on the wall next to the desk.

Don’t expect much when it comes to living space and amenities at single occupancy type of room. Space is tight, and the bed is narrow. If a person moves a lot while sleeping, then it is no doubt to wake up on the floor. If the bed space is tight, the bathroom space is even more uncomfortable! As in super tiny! There is no elbow room in the shower area. (I know, I'm redundant!) I had a hard time keeping the outside floor dry, as I don’t like a wet floor in the bathroom.

Well, at breakfast, it was time for the management to redeem their services! The food served that morning was beyond the norm. I didn’t take many photos of all the items served but, trust me; there are plenty of selections and choices. Most reviews will read that the hotel’s best asset is the abundance of food. I liked the fish dishes and the brown cheese the most! The staff at the dining room were busy replenishing the serving plates with fresh foods.

Another plus factor of Thon Budget Hotel Astoria is its location. It is pretty much nearby to everything, including the Oslo Central Station that is a walking distance only. Some city attractions like the Museum of Music, the Royal Palace, the Oslo Cathedral are also a walking distance. The Vigeland Park is not too far away but still need to take the metro. The metro stop is also a three-minute walk.

The receptionist staff was friendly and accommodating. At the reception, there is a desktop that I am assuming it is free to use by hotel guests. On the day, I was in Oslo, it was mostly sunny with some isolated rain showers. Thus, umbrellas in a basket ready for grab was very thoughtful!
hotel logo
hotel entrance
reception area
my love for ceiling lamps :)
cotton_foam says:
I booked it online, Paul!
Posted on: Aug 30, 2015
Paulovic says:
That is expensive! Did you book online? I just went to Norway and I booked all my stays a few days to one day in advance because I've been told it is cheaper than on arrival. Most budget hotels I was able to stay two nights for that price. Even Thon hotel I stayed (not in Oslo, but other cities) and that was not that expensive.

Anyway, the location of your hotel was super! :)

And about the breakfast, when it was included, it was always extremely good in Norway I think. :)
Posted on: Aug 26, 2015