Thokozisa Restaurant

Winterton, South Africa

Thokozisa Restaurant Winterton Reviews

rsummo rsummo
Fantastic restaurant in the Central Drakensberg Jul 10, 2010
Thokozisa Restaurant is located in the back of the Thokozisa information center which you will pass on your left as you drive in to the Champagne Valley towards Monks Cowl. The information center itself is extremely helpful and there are a few inexpensive shops inside as well, so it's worth stopping at even if you aren't hungry. Depending on where you are staying in the area, it may be a 10-15 minute drive back to the info center/restaurant, but believe me it is well worth it.

We were seated at our table by the proprietor, who was incredibly friendly and tall. The service overall at Thokozisa was quite good, and it was nice to have a personal informal greeting/conversation with the staff from the get-go. It created a sense of optimism about the experience.

The menu covers the standard bases and more - burgers, wraps, salads, chicken, fish, beef and some Italian and Thai dishes thrown in as well. The prices are very reasonable for the quality of food and the wine. The wine list has everything you need unless your tastes are strictly top of the line. I had a glass of the house white semi-sweet, which was delicious and priced well - R15 ($2). One thing I love about South Africa in general is that when you order a glass of wine, they give you a glass that is almost filled to the top. They are not pretentious about drinking their wine.

I was trying to stick to the cheaper side of the menu, so I ordered the Drakensburger for R54 (about $7.25). My girlfriend ordered herself a vegetarian wrap which ran about a dollar more. The food came out very quickly, and it was incredibly good. The burger was a generous size and very tasty. They didn't skimp on the meat or the toppings. The fries were just how I like them, well toasted, not too salty, and with a good potato to skin ratio. The wrap my girlfriend ordered was also delicious and came with a very good sized side salad. We didn't get in to the desert menu this time around, but when I return tomorrow to watch the 3rd place World Cup playoff, I'm sure we'll make up for it.

A cozy interior, a smooth running operation, friendly staff and great food makes this place easy to recommend. There are only a handful of restaurants in the Champagne Valley area, so it's nice to know that you can count on at least one of them to suit a wide variety of your moods. make sure to have at least one of your meals out at this restaurant.

P.S. I went back the next day and had the Thai Chicken Wrap - fantastic. My girlfriend had the vegetarian pasta - fantastic and huge - we got 2 meals out of it. And the deserts are good, as suspected. We split the summer berry pavlova, which came with a side of ice cream. Good times.
The entrance to the Thokozisa Info…

Check Winterton Hotel Deals