Thilina Guest house

Thilina Guest house - The new block of the hotel
Thilina Guest house - The room
Thilina Guest house - The road with the hotel
Thilina Guest house - Sign at the road with the hotel

Compare Matara Hotel Rates (7.6km away)

Thilina Guest house Badulla Reviews

tj1777 tj1777
Thilina Guest house Sep 07, 2011
Thilina Guest House is a typical local Sri Lankan guesthouse. There is not a lot of foreign tourist passing through Badulla so the guesthouse is mainly serving the needs of local Sri Lankans going to Badulla on a visit. The guest house is only a short walk away from both the bus station and the train station. It is within walking distance - but if you prefer a tuktuk you should be able to get one for around 50-60 rupees - less than $½.

The rooms are quite basic with not much more than a bed. At least there is a mosquito net so you should be save when it comes to the stingy things which is flying around at the window of my room. It doesn’t seem like they are spending too much time cleaning the rooms on a regular basis - and I am convinced the sheets has been used by somebody else than me so I bring out my emergency sheet back for the night. The rooms look a bit worn down and this kind of goes for the entire hotel.

The bathroom is just as basic as the room but it does have a functioning toilet and there are water coming out for a shower - though its only cold water - Badulla is back in the low lands so I don’t really mind the water is only cold since you need cold water shower in this climate anyways.

There are two wings for the hotel - one new one which is displayed at the photo of the hotel on the billboard I had seen on the street. But for some reason I am given a room in a much older wing of the hotel which looks pretty dated. I don’t know if there are any differences between the rooms in the new and the old wing of the hotel. The reception is in the old wing of the hotel and there - if you got a car there are a big parking area available right next to the hotel.

There is no breakfast available at the guesthouse in the morning so you will have to go somewhere else to get a bite to eat in the morning. But they do offer to make you a cup of tea in the morning for about $0.3 if you want it.

One thing which is pretty strange is they insist you check out at nine the latest. In the morning I wanted to go to explore a nearby waterfall so I wasn’t sure when I would get back. Considering the guesthouse was far from full I asked if I could just leave my backs inside the room until I got back. But they insisted I should check out before I went on my little excursion. At least they did offer to let me store my backpack in the small office just behind the reception. They did seem to have the back locked inside the office while I was gone so they did generally seem to protect their guest belongings.
The basic toilet
The room
The reception area
The old block of the hotel

Compare Matara Hotel Rates (7.6km away)

Thilina Guest house Map