Thermae Bath Spa

6-8 Hot Bath Street, Bath, United Kingdom

Thermae Bath Spa Reviews

1morespicy 1morespi…
Amazing steam rooms. Apr 12, 2008
Thermae Bath Spa opened in 2006. 4 years late and £32 million over budget. No surprise there then. I'd been past it on a few occasions and have wanted to check it out for myself for quite a while.

The best time to go is mid week when it's not so busy. If you want to book a treatment be prepared to wait. I asked for the next available Saturday for the rejuvenate hot stones therapy and had to wait over 2 months for an appointment. Also, if you book any treatment you have to book a 2 or 4 hour spa session on top which I think is a bit mean as it adds up to £32 on to your bill.

I decided to go for the 4 hour session as I just wanted to relax and take my time exploring the place.

From the outside, the place looks quite impressive. It's an old Georgian building with a modern glass front. The reception staff were very friendly and, as I hadn't been there before, took time in explaining how everything works. I was given a "smartband". It's a magnetic key to operate your locker, no need to remember any combinations. It comes with a £125 credit on it which can be used in the cafe so you don't have to carry any money around.

After being handed my robe, towel and HUGE slippers I headed off to the changing area. It's a mixed changing room with little cubicles for privacy. They are tiny and not by the looks of thing, not cleaned all that often as in both the ones I used I found left overs from previous occupants.

I was really impressed with the lockers though. You simply pick an empty locker, put your stuff in, close the door then hold your smartband up to a central panel thing and it locks it! That's all you have to do. To unlock it you do the same thing in reverse. I love technology!

The main spa is located over 4 floor as well as a roof top pool. I decided to head for the steam rooms first of all. They are amazing. There are 4 circular, glass steam rooms. one in each corner of a larger room. They are each infused with different aromas. Mint, lavender, eucalyptus and frankincense. The last one was definitely my favourite.

In the middle of the steam rooms there is a waterfall shower which kicks into gear every 10 minutes or so. There are also hot and cold showers on opposite ends and some foot baths dotted around.

From there I went up to the roof top pool. It has the most stunning views of Bath. It being a Saturday the pool was packed and it was still a bit cold for my liking.

The Minerva Bath is located on the lower ground floor and looks a lot bigger in the brochure. Again though it was too busy and I sat on one of the loungers for a while. Kept falling asleep as well. I wasn't hugely impressed by this one.

After my 4 hours of relaxing it was time for hot stone massage. All treatments are in separate areas of the spa. Again, the staff were very friendly. It's also nice to get away from the busy main spa.

A couple of bad points.

Cleanliness. I know it's probably small stuff but the rubbish in the changing rooms were a bit of a off putting. And there was a lot of dust around in the stair wells as well as in the cafe.

Drinking fountains. It's quite a big spa but I only found one tiny drinking fountain on each floor. One of them wasn't working properly. Actually I don't remember there being one by the Minerva pool. I saw one of the staff guzzling the stuff which made me quite thirsty.

There's a lot of walking up and down stairs in this place. There are lifts but they are small and very slow. Also the showers are on the lower ground floor but the changing rooms are 2 floors up. Don't get it.

All in all, a nice spa. Worth the money for the steam rooms alone. I would definitely recommend it. Just not on a Saturday. I just gets silly busy.
magnificent says:
Very well put review. This is a good example for me as I write my reviews, thank you.
Posted on: Mar 26, 2010
marksreynolds says:
Now I know where we will be going when we come to Bath! Nice review, Thanks :)
Posted on: Jun 08, 2008
sarahelaine sarahela…
Bath Spa Mar 24, 2008
Thermae Bath Spa is the posh modern spa in Bath city centre. It is £22 for two hours or £32 for four hours, but I think that for an occasional treat, that's still much cheaper than going out and getting drunk. It uses the genuine hot springs - the only ones still usable in the UK - to run the spa. And it is very, very, very relaxing.

Bath Spa has three main areas that you can go in for a standard entry fee. The Minberva bath is the mineral spring on the bottom floor. It is a strange pool, because you have much less bouyancy than normal. There are four saunas, with different smells in them, foot baths, and a waterfall shower on the next level, which also has a small terrace. Please be careful on the terrace. Not that it's slippy - it's just that when I went out there in my bikini a bunch of tourists tried to take photos of the crazy woman on a terrace in her bikini in March. And if you are that tourist - that's just rude, folks. I was blue. The top floor is the roof top pool, my favorite. It is a really warm pool and there is something magic about floating around in a hot pool in the rain.

There is a cafe there, which is expensive, but quite nice. All the floors are accessible by lift and stairs, and if you don't have a towel with you, you can hire that or robes. Robes are not compulsary though, and I'd keep the money and spend it on a nice smoothie.

Related Travel Blogs About Thermae Bath Spa

day nine - Roman Baths and a "witching hour" Tor climb
Clouds hung in the sky, blocking the sunlight as I woke. A damp chill crept under my skin but after a nice hot shower, I bundled up in warm layers and had a cup of herbal tea and was perfectly conten…Bath spa Thermae that offers visitors the opportunity to bathe in naturally heated spring waters. Next time! We headed…
Potential Itineraries
For our trip, we decided to make a survey to decide where we wanted to go.  We listed countries that interested us, as well as cities in them, and things to see/do in the cities.    …Thermae Bath Spa - Bath Abbey - Jane Austen stuff ♦ Cambridge - All Saints Church - Cambridge University (Library, Press bookshop, etc) ♦ Kent/Dover…
"Oh who could ever be tired of Bath?"
I couldn't come to England and not visit Bath, so to Bath I went.  I took the bus up yesterday morning (sadly much cheaper & much slower than the train) and started my wanderings through the…Thermae Bath Spa for those who wish to take to the waters).  Today I got up bright and early…

Check Bath Hotel Deals