Theodore Roosevelt National Park

315 2nd Avenue, Medora, ND, USA

Theodore Roosevelt National Park Medora Reviews

tenaka tenaka
South Loop, great views Jun 30, 2012
Just $10 per car to get in to the park. I believe that covers both the north and south areas but I only visited the south loop. The pass is good for a week but you really only need one or two days to see it all.

The Ridgeline trail, one of the first stopping points on the loop, is definitely worth the hike out. It says 0.6 miles but it seemed longer than that, maybe a full mile. It ends out at a hilltop with incredible views in all directions.

There are several spots marked as Prairie Dog Towns, and they aren't kidding. Hundreds upon hundreds of them all gathered up in these areas. If you get to one and don't see any, move on to the next. It seems they all gathered in a couple of them when I was there.

The coal vein trail sounded cool, and while it was a beautiful hike there was no sign I could see of the old coal vein or coal fire. I guess its been too long. So I was a little disappointed.
X_Drive X_Drive
Theodore Roosevelt National Park Jun 18, 2010
This huge National Park covers 110 square miles of North Dakota’s badlands and is made up of three separate areas, the North Unit, the South Unit, and the Elkhorn Unit. We drove into the park along Interstate 94 near the town of Medora, where they have a very nice Visitors Center and nice walking path along a high edge overlooking the lower portions of the landscape. Each of the three units has scenic drives, foot and horse trails, wildlife viewing, and camping grounds. Certainly the scenery varies from one area to the next and each one contains quite an array of wildlife which includes bison, elk, deer, bighorn sheep, and a very large variety of birds, from Eagles and wild turkeys down to hummingbirds.

You will also see many wild horses. Winter brings lots of very low temperatures and snow, summer can be very warm and in the spring while we were there the winds were very strong blowing at 50 mph. They also advised us to be aware that several Bison had been very recently seen at the center area.
X_Drive says:
May have just been the time of year. ;)
Posted on: Mar 28, 2011
tj1777 says:
looks much greener than Badlands NP in SD.
Posted on: Mar 28, 2011

Related Travel Blogs About Theodore Roosevelt National Park

Theodore Roosevelt National Park (South Unit)
I landed in Bismarck a little past noon.  Since I was headed to southwestern North Dakota, I picked up another hour going from Central to Mountain Standard Time.  And on top of that, the da…Medora and the South Unit of Theodore Roosevelt Nation Park.  This park has two almost equal sized units that…
Theodore Roosevelt National Park
We were up early enough this morning but the Best Western Hotel where we were staying had a restaurant as part of the property so no free food and the "deal" they offered didn't suit our tastes so we… We were up early enough this morning but the Best Western Hotel where we were staying had a restaurant as…

Check Medora Hotel Deals