The wonderfully busy Cairo

Cairo, Egypt

The wonderfully busy Cairo Reviews

andrewmarshall andrewma…
Dec 20, 2004
Well first off 1 warning, when they say don't drink the water, they MEAN IT! I spent 3 days in Luxor, very sick with what they thought was Typhoid, but turns out it was just dysentary, either way bloody horrible illness. The bazaar was fantastic, if you haggled everything became quite cheap and the sellers were not very aggressive. If you say you are from Canada, I guarentee they say "Canada! Canada Dry!" which is humourous at first, but after a day or so gets annoying.The Mohammed Ali mosque (not the boxer) was fantastic. It was not only huge, but on a hill and you could see Giza on a clear day. The museum was interesting, especially growing up in Canada we always had that 2 month long history lesson on ancient Egypt so it was nice to see some of these things I had heard so much about. Giza was pretty dull, packed with tourists and of course pestering salesmen offering everything from head scarves to camel rides. Fortunatly I was with my family so we took a camel ride and I didnt have to pay for it, so I have no idea on prices there. Every Mosque you go to, are very friendly to tourists. One mosque (dont remember the name, but it was by the bazaar and big) gave me a book on the history of Islam, and we got caught there during prayer, but one of the employees took us into a seperate room so we didnt have to leave. As always shoes MUST come off entering the mosque. Also woman must bring head coverings (dont remember some mosques do provide things but must be returned, dont rely on that though) because you can not enter the mosque without one. Men long pants (church clothes) for attire. Since I went in december, it was cool during the day, but it got freezing at night so bring a jacket. As always, enjoy.

Check Cairo Hotel Deals