The temples of Bagan

Bagan, Myanmar

The temples of Bagan Reviews

Vipin Vipin
Highly recommended tour! Apr 11, 2010
Situated near to the Ayeyarwady River, Bagan used to serve as the capital city for several kingdoms in Myanmar during the eleventh to thirteenth centuries. The temples however are Bagan’s most enduring legacy. So many of them dot the skyline and they are all best explored over a long day trip, or over two half day trips. Usually the temples involve stupas, domes, pagodas as well as some temples which are more similar to the ones found in India. Although 5,000 pagodas are said to have existed at some point, regrettably, just under half of these still exist after the 1975 earthquake decimated the landscape. Consequently, in order to avoid any further damage to the remaining structures, it is only possible to do the day tour of the temples with a horse driven carriage and driver. I paid around 10 US dollars for the day, and my driver took me around all the main temples and patiently waited outside each one until I was done. Usually the drivers can speak some English and the day is actually quite informative; you get some biography about the temples and learn more about the local culture! The key tips I would give are to:

- ensure your carriage seat is cushioned. The roads are bumpy and you'll be transported around on the carriage all day. The last thing you need is a seat that's uncomfortable!

- take adequate amounts of water for the day (soft drinks are more readily available though at the cafes near the major temples).

- prepare to put up with persistent locals who will try to offer you a tour (for a fee of course or for you to visit their souvenir shop). It’s best to keep conversation to a minimum, but on the plus side, the place isn’t as touristy as Angkor Wat.

- be prepared for the heat and dust if you're going in the dry season. The temples require you to take your shoes off, the ground can get rather hot to walk on as well as dusty. Therefore, make sure you have easy to put on shoes, and things such as wet wipes/face cloths.

COST - The temples are free entrance for all of them, so if you see someone trying to impose a charge, they are probably trying to con you! Luckily you have your driver-guide with you near most temple entrances, so you cannot get into too much trouble!

I booked my driver-guide through my hotel (no commission charged). Travelling around on the horse-driven carriage was rather unique too! The day trip around the various temples was a key highlight of Myanmar and I highly recommend it.
Cho says:
I enjoyed reading your blog. I was in Bagan way back in 1966 (I am a native of Myanmar) and don't remember much of it, except for the sight of all the pagodas lying in splendor on the plains.
Posted on: Feb 18, 2013

Related Travel Blogs About The temples of Bagan

Chillin' in Bagan
No night bars, no cafes, no cable tv, no malls, no dating scene �" how do you exactly ‘chill’ in Bagan?    By simply taking the place for what it is, enjoying it for what…temple fatigue. Who wouldn’t when, while driving around Bagan, I can’t see anything but trees and temples
Day 2 - Bagan, Pagan?
We arrived in Bagan around 8 AM. Unlike in Yangon, Bagan (or Pagan) is a dry, hot and humid place. However I would say, landing in Bagan is the best landing for me ever because miles and miles, I can…Bagan. Then we went sightseeing. There are more than a thousand temples around Bagan. But we would only…

Check Bagan Hotel Deals