The gate to Szigetköz
The gate to Szigetköz Mosonmagyarovar Reviews
Tipical Oct 27, 2008
This town and its neighbourhood have always been in the join of the regional connections. This is the place where in the Old World and Middle Ages the only passable road led through the marshlands of Danube and Hanság areas.
The roads from the southern German areas leading to Pannonia (east-west), as well as the roads from the Czech basin to the Mediterranean (north-south) met here. The Limes in the times of the Romans, Vindobona (Vienna) – Carnuntum (Petronell) – Ad Flexum (Magyaróvár) – Arrabona (Győr) – Brigetio (Szőny) – Aquincum (Óbuda) was leading through this area. One of the important places of the Limes was Ad Flexum. There was a narrow passage between two large water- and marshlands, and due to this fact this place had a significant role from military-, defence- and commercial aspects and therefore it became one of the trade- and military routes.
This had and has been a determinant factor in the history of the region. In the first centuries of the Middle Age this area was called the „Moson gate”. Stephen 1st organised the most important base and the centre of the county of the feudal Hungarian state around the royal castle of Moson, because it had excellent position in order to control and block the traffic. This had been a significant role during the crusades and later during the Turkish wars. During the later centuries this position also resulted in enormous profit in the stock market. Having ruined Castle of Moson in 1271. Magyaróvár took over the military and administrative role. Therefore it was Queen Elizabeth who gave township to the settlement of Magyaróvár in 1354 that had been the shire town of Moson County before the uniting of counties following the Trianon Treaty of Peace.
From the 16th century the fortified castle of Magyaróvár and the surrounding huge Habsburg estate facilitated the dynamic development of trade and handicraft. Despite of the restrictions of the franchise of the town this role of centre of estates was profitable, both in the establishment of the Academy and in the evolvement of the early manufacturing industries. Trade routes were crossing Moson County, its corn market reached of that of Győr’s, and the rivers helped the booming of flouring-mills. In the first thirty years of the 20th century highly developed manufacturing industry came to existence in Moson and Magyaróvár. The main labour force of these industries came from the neighbouring settlements. In 1939 Moson and Magyaróvár united and Mosonmagyaróvár consolidated to become the centre of the small region. Up to 1984 when the districts were reformed the town had been the residence of districts, but due to its location and institutions, schools, hospital, trade- and financial services offered it has still been the centre of the region even today.
The geographical location and roads to connect to the wider regions of Mosonmagyaróvár had great influence on the past, present and future of the town. Looking at the map of the region it can be seen that the only passable way between the marshlands of Danube and Hanság is here. Ad Flexum was established along the road of Limes by the Danube, a Roman military and civilian settlement that had significant defence and commercial functions for several centuries. The other important route linking the Baltic area to the region of the Mediterranean, „Route of Laurel” also had an effect on the region.
The significant role of the town resulted from its position in traffic had remained also in the Middle Ages, that is why the region was named „Moson Gate”. Of course, during the history of the town in relation to other historical events and following technical improvements and changes there were always different means of transport becoming more and other becoming less important – but today it can be proved by facts that the development of town – or decline of certain parts of the town – can be accounted for the roads leading through the town.
Today the main attraction of the city is the presence of thermal baths that surfaced from a well from 2000 m deep in 1966. The well delivery is 1800 litres of water /minute. The spa is 75°C Natrium-hidrogencarbonate and chloral spring water. In 1967, it was certified to be medicinal water, suitable for the treatment of rheumatic diseases, inflammations, respiratory diseases and a cure for stomach- and bowel conditions. From the mid-1990s, there was a significant investment and development of the thermal bath site such as hotel, restaurant, apartments, service- and therapeutical facilities. Today all these services are available all year round for the general population and for visitors looking for rest, remedy and recreation.
Part of the list Top 15 Things to see in Little Hungarian Plain
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!