The city of Nagasaki

Nagasaki, Japan

The city of Nagasaki Reviews

jackiedavis jackieda…
Nagasaki - A Place of Spiritual and Historical Prominence for Japan Jul 25, 2011
In June, I made a trip from Tokyo to the city of Nagasaki, located on an island in the southern tip of Japan.

This port city was the door through which Christianity first arrived in Japan in the 16th century by European missionaries. However, Japan soon banned Christianity and this resulted in the incident of "the execution of the 26 saints" that took place in 1597 in Nagasaki. We were able to tour the "Museum of Christian Martyrs" that is located on this site. This marked the first martyrdom in Japan, but was followed by a series of more persecutions and martyrdoms of Christians in centuries that followed.

The other memorable site we toured while there was the "Nagasaki Atomic Bomb Museum." During WWII, after Hiroshima, Nagasaki was the second and last city to experience the attack of the atomic bomb. The museum brought to life what I had learned from history textbooks in High School. I never thought I would actually get to stand on the sites of two prime events in Japanese and world history.

Related Travel Blogs About The city of Nagasaki

Having a place in Japanese history
I go all the way from Osaka to Nagasaki today - I figure doing this long stint of travelling today I will have put most of my long distance travelling away in one go and can focus on short trips f…city of Nagasaki .   It was a cloudy day in Nagasaki and the bomber crew could not see the city
The beautiful but sad Nagasaki
For both Akiko and me this was a very much looked forward part fo the trip.  For me I wanted to see the historical parts of this city.  Akiko was going to meet a long time friend who she ha…cities but just think it sure is not as nice as Vancouver.  Nagasaki felt so comfortable for me. Nagasaki
Let there be peace....
Our primary goal in Nagasaki was to see the Atomic Bomb museum and ground zero. We had no idea that Nagasaki was so beautiful! It was a warm day and Nagasaki sits on a beautiful harbor surrounded by …Nagasaki requested peace statues and memorials from all of the cities in the world and many cities and countries…

Check Nagasaki Hotel Deals