The Zanzibari

Check Nungwi Hotel Deals

The Zanzibari Nungwi Reviews

vanlelia vanlelia
well pleased Jun 12, 2011
I was really surprised by the negative reviews on tripadvisor, but then again, we all have an idea of what we dream of for the perfect holiday. I found the zanzibari to be a safe haven that exceeded my expectations. I loved the fact that it wasn't as commercial, very clean, and a bit more secluded without harassing salesman (God bless em) and male gigolos one might find on the more public beaches not too far away.

I felt safe and honored that we were guarded by real Masai warriors. WOW! We were even serenaded one night, hearing real traditional songs , what an honor! I'll never forget that! and I doubt the other places had the same privilege.

We stayed in the suite which I highly recommend as it is right on the seafront. I loved gazing at the stars from the top level at night and waking up to the sunrise over the sea early mornings, some truly spectacular scenery out of this world !!!, not too mention how well I slept to the sound of the waves...

I do not think the website lies, the bit of beach you see on site is what is there , when the tide is low. We enjoyed piddle-paddling along the exposed reef during low-tide- looking for crabs and fishies….I stepped on an octopus!! ;-) don’t step on the sea urchins ! a staff member (zuri) was even so kind to lend me his shoes ! I walked a mile in it .

I did not mind that the water wasn't always that hot whenever I took a shower, I found it quite refreshing and loved the fact that they were making use of solar panels. it is a tropical island after all, I was there during their winter season, but they don't really know what winter is ;-)

Early mornings is great for kayaking , and if you're brave, ride those waves at the reef. BE BRAVE!

I also thoroughly enjoyed my early morning swims in the beautiful swimming pool (salt water - so soft on the skin), or a run through the town, not to mention those frequent lazy naps in the hammocks, great massages.- uninterrupted, except for an invitation for tea and cake late afternoons - something we learnt to look forward to, and a great opportunity to meet other travelers..

This place truly gave me that well needed rest. However, whenever I needed more stimulation, there were so many other options to explore…The food was great , the staff, just amazing!!!- gentle people who truly’ aims to please.’..I just fell 'in-love' with them all..I felt valued and cherished!

I did not find the pricing exorbitant, as they always tried to get us the best deal. Tip: the more people on board for a daily excursion, putting some heads together and going on trips together, the cheaper the rates! as its more the transport that makes things pricey....so don't do things solo. we met some incredible like-minded people with the same interests and always managed to arrange some great deals for the spice trip, stone-town, sunset cruises, mnemba snorkeling trips etc etc.. Just ask! ....

We loved our leisurely walks along the beach during low tide to paradise hotel for a change of scenery and some cocktails. There’s so much within walking distance ie, parasailing, kite-surfing, scuba, turtle - sanctuary etc etc....next time I go, I'm renting a scooter to explore even more of this stunning island!

I left with a heavy heart and I highly recommend this gem of a place to all I encounter. It’s ran by gems of people worth praising and treasuring!!

Thank you for such an unforgettable holiday !

ps. for all photographers: what a dream . however, the locals do not like their pics taken since their muslim. only

from a distance ;-)
chillin at the zanzibari
michael0311 says:
Great review and spot on!

The Zanabari Hotel is a great secluded oceanfront hotel that is very peaceful and relaxing. An hour long massage on the beach listening to the waves after a day of diving is how all days should go. Everyone there is friendly and easy to smile, staff and guests. Highly recommended.
Posted on: Jun 14, 2011