The Yongala Shipwreck

56 Alba Street, Ayr, Australia

The Yongala Shipwreck Ayr Reviews

matthew matthew
The S.S.Yongala Shipwreck Dive Jan 15, 2011
I’d booked a dive package from one of the agents in Brisbane. There were two options: you can either go from Townsville or from Ayr. I chose Ayr as the boats run daily, and it is closer. The company I did the package with was Yongala Dive, and the whole package was fabulous. Yes it was expensive, but I’d certainly say it was worth it. It is said to be one of the top ten wreck dives in the world, and given the oceanic life diversity down there and shear amount, I’d say that is quite a fair statement.

The company were waiting for me at the Greyhound bus station absolutely on time, and gave me the option of going to the supermarket or getting whatever I needed from the main town before we drove the twenty minute drive to Alva Beach and launching point for the S.S. Yongala (just 20km away). The place where I stayed was absolutely fine. It was a six bed dormitory with more like a house feel to it than anything else. Free tea (much needed) and coffee were provided, breakfast was included, and a generous BBQ lunch provided on return from the dive.

There’s not a great deal to do at the house itself, or indeed at Alva Beach, but there a decent selection of DVDs can pass your time, and internet access is available also. I would suggest having a good book handy though!

As for the dive itself, well I can write until the cows come home any number of superlatives for this dive. Whilst descending I saw reef sharks and a huge school of cod fish, and it just got better from there! I saw the biggest turtle I’ve ever seen, and the marine life is not at all phased by divers. You can actually touch a lot of the friendly fish and turtles as they will swim, though I suggest not interfering, though sometimes they will actually bump into you!

I have never seen so many fish and colourful reef in such a short area and with features of the ship itself still clearly visible e.g. toilets, bath tubs, and lanterns, this truly is a dive to experience. Br sure to look through the openings and you will undoubtedly see groupers bigger than yourself!
matthew says:
Yeah, lots. They're all attached to the blog. Sorry for not saving a few for the review.
Posted on: May 12, 2011
alyssa_ob says:
Cool! No underwater photos?
Posted on: May 12, 2011

Related Travel Blogs About The Yongala Shipwreck

Diving The Yongala Shipwreck
I woke up extremely keenly, and gathered my things for the day.  After the usual briefings and disclaimers, I was set to do my first and second ever registered deep dives.  After a round of… I woke up extremely keenly, and gathered my things for the day.  After the usual briefings and disclaimers, I…

Check Ayr Hotel Deals