The Write Inn

Check Oak Park Hotel Deals

The Write Inn Oak Park Reviews

kayguarnay kayguarn…
Farewell to Apartments Mar 03, 2016
My first night at this quaint boutique hotel. It definitely has character, and very friendly staff. It's right next door to the birthplace of Ernest Hemingway and across the street from a museum. The rooms (mine is teeny tiny) are all 1920's decor -original from when it opened (it seems), but that gives it it's charm. The front desk person, Albert, was very sweet. Since I was relocating for a little while here, he let me try out multiple rooms until I found one that was light enough for me to stay in for a long term.

I'll report back after a week long stay here, but so far, this nook of Hemingway history is a must visit!
kayguarnay says:
I know, my camera is not uploading to my computer (need an upgrade in the computer).
Posted on: Mar 21, 2016
Paulovic says:
Sounds very interesting. Missing the photos.
Zagnut66 says:
The sun also rises here, I hope. :)
Posted on: Mar 04, 2016
kayguarnay kayguarn…
Don't stay more than one night, and if you do, don't sign on the dotted line. Mar 15, 2016
I wrote a review on this about a week ago, but now have more data. I moved to this hotel to stay in the area for 1 month. When I originally made the reservation I was given the monthly rate and booked into a "Pullman" room until the beginning of April-- essentially this is a walk in closet with a bed, refrigerator, sink and microwave. It was all I needed but may be too tight for two people to stay in.

The first night I spent on the 3rd floor and ended up sleeping in my sleeping bag. Thank goodness I found it. It turned out that the heater (although working) could not overcome the draft from the shattered window. I went down and notified the front desk about the shattered window and was moved for the next night to a room on the 2nd floor (a Queen) - a much bigger room that was actually quite comfortable and warm. I stayed in this room for another 10 nights. After the first week I realized there was a problem. When they moved me to a different room, they booked me at the weekly rate, which is about twice as expensive. When I caught the mistake, I was told that I cannot undo what I signed in the past and would only be able to start the monthly rate from that day forward. Since I was trying to move out by the first of the month, this was absolutely not possible, so they offered me a "weekly" rate again but with a discount (to the benefit of the hotel -- of course), so instead of paying what I was prepared to pay, they wanted $500 more.

After going back and forth with the manager, I was told that they cannot undo the errors made and that I should just pay "$1100 and they will let me stay the next 20 days" which is obviously double the rate we agreed on.

I ended up having to move out the same day (20 days earlier than expected and had 4 hours to find alternate housing). In the meantime, the hotel ran my credit card 3 times for 3 different amounts which basically alerted the fraud protection and my credit card was cancelled.

So, what did I learn from this experience? Don't EVER stay somewhere for a month without signing a contract and paying up front in CASH or check because they still keep charging my now cancelled credit card with varying amounts.

I still think the staff who work there are phenomenal (Iris, Yolanda, Andrea and Albert were especially helpful) and if you get everything in writing and don't trust the manager, you will be fine. Buyer Beware!
Zagnut66 says:
Wow, what a rotten experience.
fransglobal says:
I won't be staying there...
Paulovic says: