The World`s Most Dangerous Road

La Paz, Bolivia

The World`s Most Dangerous Road La Paz Reviews

nabimeister nabimeis…
Adventurous and exciting but safe enough Jun 22, 2015
The bike ride down the Death Road was exciting, fun and adventurous. The view is spectacular, experience is unforgettable. It's not dangerous as long as you use common sense to stay safe and off the edge, know your limits. In saying that, the faster you ride (within your limit) the more control you have on your ride. Combine these rules and you will be fine. It's exhilarating, fun and bit of a workout which is good after a few days of boozing.

I went with Velocity Mountain Biking. They are the most expensive but the most reputable.
JJguinness JJguinne…
North Yungas Road, Aka: The World`s Most Dangerous Road Oct 08, 2010
The North Yungas Road (alternatively known as Road of Death or Death Road) is a 69-kilometre (43 mi) road leading from La Paz to Coroico, 56 kilometres (35 mi) northeast of La Paz in the Yungas region of Bolivia. It is legendary for its extreme danger and in 1995 the Inter-American Development Bank christened it as the "world's most dangerous road". One estimate is that 200 to 300 travellers are killed yearly along the road. The road includes crosses marking many of the spots where vehicles have fallen.

The road first ascends to around 4,650 metres (15,260 ft) at La Cumbre Pass, before descending to 1,200 metres (3,900 ft) at the town of Coroico, transiting quickly from cool Altiplano terrain to rain-forest as it winds through very steep hillsides and atop cliffs.

Because of the extreme drop-offs of at least 600 meters (1,830 feet), single-lane width – most of the road no wider than 3.2 metres (10 ft) and lack of guard rails, the road is extremely dangerous. Further still, rain, fog and dust can reduce visibility. In many places the road surface is muddy, and can loosen rocks from the road.

I went with tour company Gravity Bolivia:(

The Coroico ride costs US$50, including return transportation, guides, bike hire, t-shirt and snacks. There's also a video of your trip down the WMDR that you can buy. They put it together and you pick it up later that day or the next.

It was a fun ride once you leave the pavement. I suggest that you feel comfortable on a bike if you're going to do this and enjoy it. It's mainly vehicles that plummet off this road but at least 18 cyclists have met their demise on this road as well (since 1998). It's great fun for the adventure junky speeding down this road on your mountain bike with shocks and disc breaks. If you're in La Paz why not give it a try.
Just getting started.
Looks safe enough....right?
This is a nice portion of the road
Just having fun.
d2amy d2amy
WMDR = AMAZING! May 04, 2010
This is by far in my top 3 things I’ve done in my life. The only one beating it are seeing Machu Pichu and Angkor Wat.

We paid roughly 100 USD to do this, but it was worth every penny. You got the bike ride, lunch, transport to and from the road, and unlike all the other companies, got to finish at a animal refuge where you had a buffet breakfast, and got to hang out with all the animals, and an added treat for our group, saw a monkey take a poop on our tour guide.

Because my boyfriend and I booked this tour so late, they had to open up another group of people to ride with, which made us super lucky as we only had 5, plus the two tour guides to get down the hill with, we finished in like 4 hours instead of like 6 or something. Although this was such a scary experience, especially since the tour guides tell us how it is and let you know a lot of people have got injured or died on this run, it was amazing, and the view were breathtaking.

I’d definitely recommend doing the World Most Dangerous Road, and even though there are a lot of companies who offer it at a cheaper price, I recommend Gravity because it rocks and there’s also one westerner on every tour so there isn’t a language barrier if you’re Spanish skills lack as big as mine do.
Raches Raches
Jun 19, 2006
This is one of the things to do when you`re in La Paz, as I realised - almost everyone you meet on the backpacker trail around here has biked down the most dangerous road in the world. I hadn`t even been planning on doing it, thinking I would have no time to see the city of La Paz itself. But I succumbed. I didn`t go with Gravity Assisted, which is the most popular, expensive and safest company, because they don`t run on Mondays (and by the time I had decided to do the ride, Monday was the only day I could do it on - I couldn´t miss the Australia vs Brazil game on Sunday, and I wanted to leave La Paz on Tuesday). I ended up going with El Solario, a travel agency that also runs a hostel. They have a cool t-shirt (no, that`s not the only reason I chose them! But I did ask the guy wearing the t-shirt how he found the agency and he said it was great, so off I went and booked myself for Monday).

US$36 will cover everything, including the bike, helmet, gloves, thermal shorts, shirt, jacket, dust mask, breakfast, van ride from the hostel and back, snacks, water, lunch at the hotel in Coroico and a CD with all the photos the guide takes on the trip, plus the t-shirt. I paid extra for a bike with hydraulic brakes, which the guide suggested (probably thinking I was likely to veer off the edge if I had normal mechanical brakes).

I met my fellow bike riders at El Solario hostel early on Monday morning. There were only 4 of us (Gravity often has groups of up to 20, but they also have 2-3 guides). Fabian, the alpha-male from Germany, Peter, the tall and skinny, slightly alternative Austrian, and Edward, the responsible Frenchman. As we got to know each other over breakfast of bread, dulce de leche (how can you go wrong with a spread made of milk and sugar?), cheese toasties and tea, I began to worry that these guys would go caning down the road and I would be embarrassingly slow, or worse, I would feel pressured to keep up with them and end up seriously injuring myself (or worse).

The ¨death road¨ is so called because it´s a winding, dusty gravel ¨road¨, often no more than one car width wide, with a sheer drop on the left hand side. Many locals have died when the truck they are in has fallen off the edge. A few tourists have died too, but your chances of dying are decreased if you`re on a bike. I don`t have statistics but it was enough to glimpse that sheer drop as you fly by and sense your own fleeting mortality and wonder why you ever decided it was a good idea. I also met a few people who had done the bike ride and came back with battle scars; one girl from England fell some 15m down the edge (luckily on a part covered with vegetation) and ended up in hospital for 2 days. Another English guy had 2 falls, although the second one can`t be his fault, as his front wheel fell off. Someone fell and broke his nose, etc etc.

The bike ride actually begins at Cumbre, and the road is paved, one lane going in each direction, quite like a highway. This was the most fun for me, as you almost fly down the road but it´s all quite safe (if you can control your bike) as there´s no chance of skidding out. There´s an uphill part that goes on for maybe a kilometre, but at altitidue (you´re still somewhere between 3-4000m above sea level) it´s a struggle. As the only girl in the group, I kindly let all the guys go first, but ended up overtaking the Austrian as we puffed up the ¨hill¨ (he cheated in the end, by grabbing on to the back of our van and getting a lift the rest of the way!).

Then the death road begins. The road system changes; going downhill, you have to ride on the left-hand-side of the road - this is for safety, as in a car you would be able to see the edge a lot more clearly (left hand drives). We set off, pretty damn quickly, I thought. Our guide, Ben, was first, and the van follows slowly behind the last person. The sheer bumpiness of the road is enough to make your hands hurt from gripping on to the handles, and braking is even tougher, but essential as you just don´t want to miscalculate a corner and end up over the edge. If you happen to fall off in the wrong section, you would die - nothing to break your fall but rock some hundreds of metres below. As you´re whizzing away you glimpse crosses out of the corner of your eye, erected in memory of the many people who have died on the road. We stopped several times just to regroup, or to have snacks, or to wait for trucks to trundle past. The narrowest parts of the road are literally no wider than a car width; accidents used to happen when two vehicles going in opposite directions ran into each other - one vehicle would have to back up, and inevitably fall off the edge. They now have local people standing at various points on the road, holding up red or green signs to control traffic flow.

The scenery itself is stunning - the surrounding mountains are covered in green, and as you descend the climate becomes sub-tropical jungle. I´m convinced this valley is deeper than the Colca Canyon in Peru. The death road ends at a little town, not Coroico (the name eludes me right now), where we cheer each other and nurse a beer in our sore hands. I can´t say it was the most fun experience of my life (certainly, biking down the paved bit was pretty exciting), as most of the time I was too stressed out about taking the corners at a reasonable speed while not being too far behind the others, and concerned about whether I was braking too much and whether I should just let the bike fly a little... all the while hearing a little voice in my head saying ¨don´t think about the sheer drop on your left¨. But with not one single fall in our group (except our guide, but I think he was trying to show off), I was happy to have participated in the experience. We were driven to Hotel Don Quijote in nearby Coroico, where we had showers to wash off the dust and sweat, and were treated to a buffet lunch. Then we settled in the van for the long, bumpy ride back up the death road - at times more hairy then biking down. I think the feeling of weary relief and satisfaction was tangible in the air.

I'm only allowed 5 photos for the review, so I hope they give you some idea about the road and the bike ride itself. But for more info, check out Gravity´s website: I didn´t have any problems with El Solario but nothing really stood out about their service or safety.
The four of us and our guide Ben
Some might call this bit dangerous
Almost near the end (lots of dust)
Don't forget to look at the wonder…
osgoodst says:
I did the same thing and broke my leg. I was an idiot and chose the 10 $ company and my breaks snapped off.
Posted on: Nov 21, 2008
jendara says:
Good experience Rachel
I was by that route a hundred times, but never by bike
"no thanks"
Posted on: Mar 10, 2008
amaude says:
Thats awesome, me and my buddy are doing that in May!
Posted on: Jan 16, 2008

Related Travel Blogs About The World`s Most Dangerous Road

World's Most Dangerous Road, La Paz to Coroico
The weather wasn’t looking too good for a long bike ride down down down the World’s Most Dangerous Road.  The billing intrigued me, ever since I was in Peru and heard talk about it.  Ha…Dangerous Road.  The billing intrigued me, ever since I was in Peru and heard talk about it.  Has anyone ever known me to resist a challenge like that…
World most dangerous road and beautiful animal sanctuary
Cycling the "Worlds most dangerous road" from La Paz to Coroico has been one of my travel wishes since the beginning of my trip. There are hundreds of companies you can choose from nowadays to cycle …Worlds most dangerous road" from La Paz to Coroico has been one of my travel wishes since the beginning of my trip…
Bike ride down the ´world´s most dangerous road´
One of the main day-trips offered from La Paz is to bike-ride down the world´s most dangerous road.  This is a road which starts a little way out of the city at over 4000 metres and d…La Paz is to bike-ride down the world´s most dangerous road.  This is a road

Check La Paz Hotel Deals