The World's End

4 High Street, Edinburgh, United Kingdom

The World's End Edinburgh Reviews

DAO DAO
World's End Feb 02, 2017
The World's End? OK, Edinburgh does border the sea, but the World's End? This tip is actually about some golden colored bricks on High Street. Edinburgh was a walled city in the 1500's in order to protect the city and its inhabitants. The gates to the city, named The Netherbow Port, were located just outside the Pub which exists today with the same name of World's End. It was part of the Flodden wall built after the Scots lost an epic battle to the English in the Battle of Flodden in 1513. It was erected in case the English decided to attack the city. Over the years it would display the heads of any criminals who had been executed to make sure the public remembered to obey the law. The brass bricks mark out the gates original location. The good people of the city felt that once the exited these gates, they had left their 'world' and the name stuck.

You can toast this fact inside the pub, which is a traditional 'boozer'.

Enjoy !
spocklogic says:
Interesting to know!
Posted on: Feb 03, 2017
aiga aiga
Cool place Aug 13, 2010
I been there last summer (2010) We were lucky for the first time and got the table straight away! Second time we had to wait but thats not a problem as they have nice bar. We fell in love with this place and will come back! Dont miss out HAGGIS!!!
Isabetlog Isabetlog
Jun 23, 2007
It took me about 2 nights before I could get a table at the World's End, just a few meters walk from the Travelodge. Each night the place was packed and I was made to wait about 40 minutes to an hour. Being the hungry cat that I was, I decided to just venture out to other, less crowded restaurants.

I have to say that the wait was definitely worth it. On the last night, I made it a point to have an early dinner which finally assured me of a table.

The pub's interior in rather dark with stone walls creating a nice old-world atmosphere. On one side is the bar and the other the dining area.

The food was excellent. I started out with haggis, served the traditional style with neeps (turnips) and mash(ed potatoes). It was much better here than when I had it the first time at another restaurant on the first in Edinburgh. It tasted much more fresh and smoother in texture. The bangers and mash I had was also perfect with the onion gravy not as sweet as it usually is. Around me, it was easy to tell the diners were enjoying their meals as well. You could practically wipe the drool off their chins as they ogled over other people's food, with me being just as guilty!

Their desserts were divine. I had a hard time making my selection. Unfortunately, I no longer remember what it was, only that it had my eyes rolling on the first bite and had the people in the adjacent tables wishing they had what I was digging my teeth into.
aoisoba says:
ahahaha ! oo nde kami nakakain kasi yung kasama kong tripod (missaeliya) eh gusto ay chines buffet :P
Posted on: Jan 30, 2008
missaeliya says:
buti ka pa nakakain sa mga resto sa edinburgh. ung kasama ko kasi (na nagngangalang aoisoba) mcdo lang ang gusto bilhin tapos biskwet na daw the rest of the day. hahaha! so what's a haggis really? bakit may stuffed toy na haggis na mukhang daga?
Posted on: Jan 30, 2008

Related Travel Blogs About The World's End

World's End
Went to the National Museum, again, this time early in the morning.  Well, it still took us all day, and even worse, Kat and i lost each other, and so she went back to the hostel early thinking … Went to the National Museum, again, this time early in the morning.  Well, it still took us all day…

Check Edinburgh Hotel Deals