The Whiski rooms

4-7 Bank St, Edinburgh, United Kingdom

The Whiski rooms Edinburgh Reviews

NickelP NickelP
Intro to Whisky Tasting Oct 10, 2015
This is also a restaurant/bar, however, I put this under attractions as the tasting is seperate.

As I had never really drank whisky, I decided that Scotland would be the perfect place to learn about it. My guidebook showed The Whiski Rooms had an Intro to Whisky Tasting session so I decided to sign up. The session is held in a side room seperate from their restaurant.

The fellow (I wish I could remember his name but it is a year and a half on) was very funny and really knowledgeable about whisky, it's history and how it's made. He talked about the difference in whisky and what are the rules in how it is labelled..blend..single malt..10 year old etc.

He also discussed the different regions and the whiskies they produce. Islay whiskies will be the peatiest, Speyside generally the sweetest and Highland anywhere in between.

He also talked about how to taste whisky and the effect of things like water, air and ice on the taste. When tasting a whisky for the first time, always try it straight to get the true taste, then if you wish add a drop or two of tepid water and see how the taste changes. In his opinion (and he did say at the end of the day to drink it however you enjoy it), you should never add ice to whisky as it closes the sugar molecules and flattens the taste and the reason it is sometimes good to add ice to bourbon is to close those sugar molecules and take away some of the sweetness. He also suggested leaving a glass of whisky out for any hour and see how the taste changes due to evaporation of the water in it.

Then it came time for the tasting and the 4 single malt whiskies we tried (in order) were the Aberfeldy 12 year old (which I actually have a bottle and enjoyed a wee dram earlier), Port Cask finished Glen Moray, 12 year old Highland Park and 10 year old Ardbeg.

He had us first smell the Aberfeldy. As we were all (there were 6 of us) new to whisky, the initial smell was just that burning smell. He then had us taste it straight, followed by adding water to see how it changed the taste. We did the same for all 4. When we got to the Highland Park which was the first of the peated whiskies, he asked for a description of the taste. The best one was that it tasted like a campfire.

After the Ardbeg, he had us go back and smell the original Aberfeldy. It was interesting for all of us as now we could smell the honey and spices that none of us could at the beginning.

I was very happy with this session and would recommend it to anyone new to whisky.
planxty says:
I am not a whisky man myself but I did enjoy that place some years ago.
Posted on: Aug 11, 2017
EmEm says:
Congrats on being featured!
Posted on: Mar 17, 2017
NickelP says:
Thanks Holger! I want to eventually get back to Scotland and tour around the country more and visit a bunch of the distilleries.
Posted on: Mar 16, 2017