The Westin St. Francis

The Westin St. Francis Rates and Deals

The Westin St. Francis San Francisco Reviews

Lupobianco Lupobian…
Right in the Heart of San Francisco Jan 09, 2015
I've had 3 stays at the Westin St Francis over the past 6 months.

Overall, the St Francis is a very well run property suited to both business and leisure travellers. It is located in the heart of the central business district as well as being close to attractions like the cable cars and the shops around Union Square. The property has a club floor with newer and more spacious rooms. Ask for a room looking out over to the Golden Gate Bridge. The hotel does not have a club lounge although the lobby is a nice place to meet and the business centre is reasonably well equipped with meeting rooms for hire.

The property comprises an old wing dating to 1904 and a newer and larger wing added in the 1960's. The lifts in the new wing are glass sided and run up the outside of the building offering great views out over the bay and to Coit Tower. I found the experience spectacular although I shared the lift with one women who found the ride so terrifying that she huddled in the corner until her floor and needed help getting out of the lift.

The hotel has rich history: On the front steps a woman tried to assassinate President Gerald Ford; Fatty Arbuckle became embroiled in a scandal involving drink and a young actress who died; The Queen of England (and other royalty) has stayed here - presumably not in the Arbuckle Suite. Near the lobby there is a collection of photographs and mementos commemorating the many great and good who have visited.

The service is efficient but still shows plenty of personality which is rare in such a large hotel. I liked the children's section of the room service menu which offered "Steamed broccoli: Free - If you promise to eat it".

The hotel has also continued a tradition of washing the coins given as change from the restaurants and bars. Originally this was so the coins did not blacken the white gloves of female guests.

Expensive, but a fascinating part of San Francisco's intriguing story.
St Francis Hotel view from Union S…
The lobby
The front entrance.
The room - Club floor
ssedha ssedha
Heart of Union Square and close to everything, Luxurious Hotel Apr 01, 2011
I stayed here with family last November when we took a thanksgiving Wine Tour trip. Our itinerary was San Francisco, Napa & Sonoma. We had reserved 2 rooms in this hotel.

First thing I want to say is that this hotel is in the center of Union Square. It's close to EVERYTHING san francisco has to offer. We witnessed the christmas tree lighting from our hotel.

The rooms themselves were very nice and clean. The beds probably one of the most comfortable and the pillows are goose down pillows. So nice, that you just want to sleep. We were again in the higher floors so we had good views of the city.

The main floor has a bar / lounge which is really good. They had some really nice drinks, but were on the expensive side.

Bottom line, if you want to spend a bit extra for luxury and still be in the heart of San Francisco, BOOK this hotel... It's really awesome.
360 360
Not bad for the location ... so bad for the brand Apr 06, 2011
We got this hotel through price line for only 90$ ... it is a deal and the location is amazing ... super amazing ... but the hotel is old ... kind of nasty in some how and it will cost you around 30 $ for the parking

after all if you can get the same deal .. you are lucky
poohstanggt poohstan…
Perfection in Union Square May 01, 2009
Over the years, I've attended several legal conferences at the Westin St. Francis but never actually stayed the night there myself. The Westin has always provided stellar service and food for the conferences.

During conferences, I know rooms run over $300 a night with a corporate discount so when we did a Priceline search for the weekend, I never thought we'd end up here. My first bid of $75 a night was accepted though so we were booked for 3 nights!

We ended up in the historic wing as we only needed one bed - the new tower is an upgrade and features double beds in some rooms. Personally, I prefer historic buildings (especially in SF) as much as possible.

We were on the 8th floor and had a great view of the Patron billboard and down to my old hang out, Lefty O'Douls.

The rooms are elegantly appointed - flat screen TV's, walk in closets, in room safes, and plush down linens. We did not eat on site at all but past experiences with the food would indicate nothing less than superb. There is a Michael Mina onsite and now even an accompanying bar in the lobby.

Obviously the location of the Westin is great given that is is right in the middle of Union Square but if you plan to drive in to the hotel, parking is EXPENSIVE! $49 a day with in and out privileges. There are other nearby lots that are probably cheaper but this is obviously convenient. Also, wifi is not free - slower access is available for $14.95 a day and faster speeds are $19.95 a day. Between Internet and parking, you could end up spending more than your entire hotel room bill! LOL
Westin St Francis
Historic buildings of the Westin
Walk in Closet and safe
TexasRich TexasRich
Not Up To Westin Standard Mar 13, 2008
An interesting old hotel that is great to visit, but stay somewhere else.

The older portion of the hotel is full of tiny rooms, many of which have windows that face a brick wall or the window of another guest's room. If you are "lucky" enough to face Union Square, count on road noise, street musicians, and the loud bell of the Cable Cars keeping you awake from dawn to well past mid-night.

The tower portion of the hotel is concrete modular construction. If you are not high up and you are facing Union Square, you will have a nice view of the back brick wall of the old portion of the hotel. If you face West, you will roast as the setting sun super heats your room. The "helpful" housekeeping staff will turn the A/C off when then are done cleaning, ensuring the room will be like a sauna when you return around dinner time. (No amount of complaining will change this, as they are instructed to do so to lower the hotel's energy bill.)

If you should need some help from the staff, such as you lock yourself out of the room, be prepared for up to a 45 minute wait. Room service is expensive and slow.

Trust me, this is the worst business class Starwood property in the city. The W, Westin Market Street, Sheraton Palace, and Le Meridan are all vastly superior hotels at the same price point.
mattango mattango
Big, clean and great service Mar 26, 2008
I stayed here for 3 nights in March 2008. It's a fantastic location - right by the cable cars that zoom passed the front door. It's a large hotel and the rooms are very modern with 42" plasma TV's and room service. Good wireless connection all over the hotel for your laptop - useful for blogging on this website but it does cost $15/day.

Food is expensive, but generally above average. As I am from the UK I found the exchange rate made this place a cheaper than I expected.

Staff were great :-) Especially the girl on reception when screwed up my booking.
stevenguyen stevengu…
Gets My Recommendation Jul 18, 2008
This would mark my second trip back to San Francisco, but this time it was for business. I figure that since I was in the area for just two days, it would probably be more suitable for me to find an inexpensive hotel.

It is located about a few miles from Union Square, so the shopping centers and the sightseeing isn't too far away. My impression of the rooms were outstanding. I thought I ordered a king sized bed, but I ended up getting two queen sized. Besides the point... the beds are luxuriously comfortable and anything you forget to bring on your trip, you can find on any of the street corners.

The room was pretty much clean and the service was great. The location was the best thing about staying there, so I would definitely come back here to reserve a room.

The hotel is truly a classic San Francisco treat and it boasts excellent five-star service. If you are planning to hold "the" perfect event, you should not decide on the venue until you see its new top of the tower banquet space.
This is an image of the Westin St …
This is an image of a typical bedr…

The Westin St. Francis Amenities