The Westin Palace Madrid

Check Madrid Hotel Deals

The Westin Palace Madrid Reviews

bashmentbabe bashment…
Enjoyed The Westin Palace Mar 03, 2013
My boyfriend and I stayed here while he was on a work trip.

I arrived in Madrid when the parade was on and couldn't get to the hotel,thankfully my boyfriend was already there and the concierge were very helpful in helping me to get from where the taxi driver left me (telling me I could get through to the other side which I couldn't) to the hotel.

Our room was great, massive bed, enough space for a European hotel, bathroom was nice with two sinks and the shower was luxurious. Extremely clean rooms and the TV had a variety of channels - a few in different languages so something for everyone. Lots of cupboard space and lovely curtains that kept out any draft. Minibar is expensive.

The gym was quiet in the early evening and there were lots of machines the only one that I would have liked to be there which wasn't was a rowing machine.The good thing about the gym was that it was 24 hour access with your key card and this is convenient.

The bar was nice and lots to choose from although it was expensive which we didn't mind but we had finished our drinks and no one realised and asked if we wanted another, we tried to get the staff attention but they didn't seem to hear / see us so in the end after 20 minutes without drinks we gave up and went up to our room.

All staff reception, housekeeping and concierge etc. were polite and professional.

Central location which was great as on the Friday my boyfriend had to work all day and so I popped out and had a walk around on my own. I went to the Prado Museum and the Botanical Gardens. On the Saturday we walked to Retiro Gardens and the Plaza Mayor / San Miguel Market and The Reina Sofia.

Room service was delicious and they even outline the super foods for you if you want to eat healthy.

In room massage was relaxing and the therapist friendly it was Euro 196.

I would recommend this hotel and really enjoyed staying here, we would return if we visit Madrid again.
in the bar with my blue cocktail
Gareth in the bar
gardkarlsen gardkarl…
Great hotel, good location but expensive breakfast and expensive wifi Apr 10, 2012
We decided to go to Madrid during Easter of 2012 and to stay at the Westin as it looked like a good location and I hoped to get some advantages as I have a SPG (Starwood Preferred Guest) card. After some price comparison, we booked plane tickets and hotel in one go using and we had to pay 16.000 NOK (2700 USD) for the flights and 6 nights at the hotel.

We arrived at the hotel at about midnight – the hotel is located between the Prado museum and the Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum so very well positioned. The taxi ride in from the airport only takes no more than 20 minutes and costs about 23€ - additional costs for airport, day of the week and time apply. The Westin is an elegant historic hotel built in 1912 and the sign still says Palace hotel outside. Check in was fast and we got room 630 on the top floor (6th floor). The problem with old hotels is that they are not necessarily equipped to handle modern expectations – like there are stairs leading up to the reception, steps leading up to the lifts – not that practical when you are dragging along a big suitcase. Although there are staff on hand to help carry luggage to your room.

The room was pretty inviting when walking in. There are light tiles on the floor and a huge mirror on the entrance wall. From the small entrance the room opened up and here there is beige/light carpet and light yellow/cream colored walls. The view was not that great as we had windows facing into the courtyard – looking down on the large glass dome on top of the dining room. If you stay here during Easter, try and get a street view room so you can catch the Holy Week procession on Good Friday. The room was equipped with dark furniture – a desk and chair, a cabinet for the 32” flat screen TV and mini bar (where a coke cost something like 7€), a small table and a bigger chair and a bed. The queen sized bed was firm but quite comfortable. Along one of the walls there were three doors which revealed the wardrobe with enough hanging and drawer space, an iron and ironing board and a mini safe (which included space for a laptop and a plug to charge it while storing it). The TV had quite a variety of channels but the menu system seemed to make it a lot slower to start, change channels etc.

We had some problems with the air-con when we were there. April in Madrid was quite cold in the evenings. When we had the air-con on it got too cold in the room (there is no display for choosing the temperature) and when turning it off the room got a bit stuffy. The rooms are not very well sound insulated either – we could easily hear people talking when walking past our door.

The bathroom was impressive– quite large with a combination of wall paper and tiles and with two sinks in marble finish. There was a bathtub with a shower option which worked out pretty good. I normally don’t like shower curtains but this had a curved pole which prevented the shower curtain from sticking to me when taking a shower. There were also two shower heads with good water pressure and hot water. There were standard amenities like shampoo, conditioner, lotion, mouth wash but no shower cap (which baffled my wife). There was a small separate room (separated from the rest of the bathroom with a frosted glass door) with a toilet and bide – separate toilets are quite a good solution in my opinion. We had some issues with the telephone and it took 4 different calls to reception to finally get a technician to fix it – he ended up replacing the phone.

As I mentioned earlier, the location of the hotel is very good. It is located right next door from both the Museo Nacional del Prado and El Museo de arte Thyssen-Bornemisza and it was only a bit more than 500 meters to walk to Puerta del Sol and just over 1 km to Plaza Mayor.

Let us talk about some of the stuff that I was not that happy with. When I booked the hotel I was hoping to get some perks with my SPG gold card but that was not the case. When checking in I knew that breakfast was not included so the receptionist said that they had a promotion for breakfast for 22€ and I said that I would think about it. My wife and I talked about this and next morning we decided to use this “promotion” but it turned out that it was 22€ per person and we could not only do it for one day – we had to do it for the entire stay. Charging 22€ for a breakfast is totally over the top, in my opinion – I normally just have some cereal and fruit in the morning and I think it is annoying that you still have to pay for the entire buffet. That said – the breakfast is great here. You have an excellent selection of cereal, fruit mixes, good quality juice, eggs made the way you like, healthy options – and even some local specialties like churros. My recommendation is: go around the corner to buy your breakfast at VIPS or Starbucks. The breakfast area is also mentioned in guidebooks and we saw a number of tourists stopping by to admire the dome.

There was no coffee/tea option in the room but there was a note saying that you could get this by calling room service – and they would only charge 4.50€ as a delivery charge! In other words: it is cheaper to walk around the corner and get your coffee from Starbucks.

Another thing that annoyed me about the hotel was the internet situation. Having access to the internet is getting more and more important as it is a great tool for planning a stay in a new city, booking restaurants, looking at maps etc. More and more hotels are offering this for free (e.g. Traders and Shangri-La chain that I also stay at) but this is not the case for Westin. They wanted 16€ per day for access to the net which is totally insane in my opinion. I think it is one of the perks you can choose when you have a SPG gold card but I think the rules states that as I booked it through a third party, they didn’t offer this to us. SPG also argues that they have free wifi in the hotel lobby but this is a 256K internet connections and who wants to sit around the lobby whenever you want to check something online? I have stayed at Westin hotels in Asia too and it has been the same there – even when staying on business levels the internet is not included. I usually end up buying a local SIM card to get online (you will need your passport to get one in Madrid). I hope that SPG hotels soon realize to move with the times and introduce free internet. I don’t want to seem petty and complain a lot – but the internet and breakfast issues actually annoyed me quite a bit. I guess they figure if you can afford the hotel you can also afford to pay a lot for these services?

It might sound like I’m very negative to the hotel based on what I have written above but all in all the Westin hotel is a great traditional hotel with reverend façade, ballroom etc. The location of the hotel is great as you can walk to the most important museums in minutes and you can also easily walk to the most important squares of Madrid. The room was pretty well laid out and it is a nice mix between the traditional and the modern hotel. I have given feedback to Starwood about my annoyances – it is great of them to respond to Tweets. If you are going to Madrid and need a 5 star hotel with a good location you should look into staying at the Westin.
The bed could have been larger
TV and table
Small safe in the wardorbe
Fridge but expensive contents
monky says:
Congrats on your featured review!
beau_bread says:
Congrats on being featured.
Glynnes says:
Congrats on being Today's Featured Travel Review.
alejandro7 alejandr…
Classic Luxury With Extraordinary Service Feb 16, 2012
From the doorman to the front desk person (celia) to the cleaning person, its was just a superb service!

Unfortunately for me my luggage got lost in transit (iberia) thats another bad review that has too many words...

Celia(front desk) was so nice and attentive with an emergency kit for my toilet trees needs and others, then concierge took care of finding my luggage.

In conclusion Service is just spectacular, every time you are greeted and welcomed into the westin family.

Food is really good at their buffet and Asian restaurant. Their heavenly bed is heavenly as usual. I definitely recommend this hotel.

Only con to this place is: Cable Tv is really non existent, and theres no Wifi included...
rjet77 rjet77
Far too pricey with much better alternatives nearby Nov 02, 2011
I understand that this hotel is slightly iconic, being the old palace of Madrid and all. However, I have to say that I was greatly disappointed with my stay here. If you're into the old world charm and excessively high prices then this hotel may be for you, however, it's slightly outdated and needs some renovations. I'm not sure how this hotel is considered a 5 star hotel, but I must say that the service here is excellent. I'm an SPG platinum member and have stayed in many of their nicest hotels around the world, but I would say that you can find a far better value and nicer hotel that is newer and features more amenities.
brockl brockl
Excellent Piece of Madrid Jun 29, 2011
While it is a very expensive hotel I was lucky enough to find a room here on the employee rate. This is a wonderful location with excellent amenities. However the main problem I had while staying her was Barcelona FC was staying at the hotel at the same time for their game against Athletico Madrid, so getting in and out was at best a little difficult at times. However that being said the staff was extremely helpful and I was able to walk to everything in Madrid quite easily due to the superb location of the hotel.
SurferTarifa SurferTa…
The Westin Palace Madrid Jun 11, 2011
El Westin Palace tiene una excelente ubicación, su restaurante es excelente, muy buenos vinos, la ópera de los domingos en el restaurante le da un toque especial y la combinación entre el decorado clásico con los modernos elementos de la habitación le hacen una excelente opción en la cosmopolita ciudad de Madrid.

The Westin Palace Amenities

• Massage
  • Solarium
  • Barber/Beauty Shop
  • Beauty Salon
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Bathrobes