The Westin Calgary

The Westin Calgary Rates and Deals

The Westin Calgary Reviews

RIGAS RIGAS
Βingo (!) Nov 10, 2014
Last afternoon in Banff had to think what to do next day about our accommodation in Calgary. My friend wanted to get there first and then look for hotel but i was pushing him to do a reservation from the net. Finally we went with tablet in the lobby of the hotel(Banff Ptarmigan Inn) and we were looking for hotels and offers. I took to get the final selection and between three hotels i chose "The Westin Calgary". It was on offer that day and i found it for only 125cad dollars or 88euro per night for double room with 2 kings beds(12,27% taxes not included).

Calgary city is small so we found the Westin relatively easy since we had and a navigator in the car. Αsked where is the entrance to the underground parking and we parked at the second basement. I remember that on the final bill we paid and a fee for parking, but I can not remember exactly how much we paid...

The Asian guy on reception desk was very polite and friendly. Room was nice and comfortable with 2 super double beds, refrigerator, security box, plasma Tv. Bathroom was nice and relatively comfortable. The view was little bad. Our room hasn't view to the

4th Avenue Southwest, but who's care...?

Westin is a five star hotel and we slept there with prices for a three star hotel.

I recommend The Westin Calgary for everyone looking for hotels in the particular city.
Vikram says:
Congrats!
Posted on: Nov 22, 2014
Zagnut66 says:
Congrats on being featured!
Posted on: Nov 21, 2014
gingerbatik says:
congrats on your featured
Posted on: Nov 21, 2014
gardkarlsen gardkarl…
Good location if you are working downtown Jul 02, 2012
I stayed in Westin Calgary in connection with a work trip there in June 2012. I chose this hotel as the location was very good and it was possible to walk to where I was going to work within minutes. I travel a bit for work and pleasure and I have stayed at various 4 and 5 star hotels around the world just to give you an idea about the background for this review. I do admit that I have been a bit spoiled by staying at some very nice hotels in Asia and due to this I do have high expectations when I stay at nice hotel chains like Westin.

The taxi from the airport to the hotel was about 35 Canadian dollar and on a Sunday afternoon it only took 15 minutes. Check in was fast and I got room 551 – to my surprise the internet was included in my business room rate which is great. I was also offered more Starwood points if I could do without room service during my stay and I think this is a great idea. The internet worked pretty good and when logged in I did not have to log in again every time I got back to the hotel – excellent!

The room I got was located on the 5th floor and from the hall there was a view out on a huge construction area. I think they are putting up a large building here so it might create some noise for the next few years. The rooms at Westin are refurbished recently but I have to admit that my first thought when I walked in was that it was a bit outdated. The carpet was dark brown while the curtains where dark greenish in color. Due to this the whole room seemed a bit on the dark side. The lighting in the room was not very modern either as there were no master control for the lighting – each of the lamps had to be switched on individually. The walls in the room were covered in a mustard colored wall paper and there where dark furniture.

The flat screen TV was mounted on the wall and it was possible to pull it out to face it towards the chair in the room and that is a great feature. Under the TV was a rather big dark furniture of drawers and a cupboard. It was totally empty so I guess it at least provides space if you unpack your entire suitcase. In many other hotels this normally contains the mini bar and the amenities that you need in connection with that.

The mini fridge was located by the entrance in the room and it was totally empty which seems a bit weird but maybe that figured that they don’t sell anything anyway as prices are normally too high compared to prices on street level. But at least there were two wine glasses and two regular glasses and a bucket for ice (there was an ice machine on the floor). There was also a coffee maker but there is a Starbucks in the lobby so there are also other options for coffee. The wardrobe included quite a few hangers, two robes, iron and ironing board and a small safe – but no slippers.

The desk had a pop up plug stand but it did not have international sockets – but luckily I could borrow a plug adapter from the reception.

There were two queen sized beds in the room and the bed was quite comfortable. But I’m not sure I understand the lack of a proper bed linen around the duvet – instead the duvet is just placed between two sheets – not a very good system for the guests in my opinion.

The bathroom was partially tiled and included a bathtub with a shower option. The shower curtain was on a curved bar so at least it didn’t stick to me while I was showering. But it did splash a bit on the floor anyway as it was hard to control the water pressure in the shower. I was very disappointed by the amenities as there was only shampoo, conditioner and a bar of soap – but then again I’m not a big fan of the Westin products. I did get a few more amenities after a couple of days at the hotel e.g. mouth wash.

There was a bit of noise in the room – the aircon was not very quiet kind even when running it on low. The traffic on the outside also created a bit of noise but luckily there is not that much traffic at night so it was not a huge problem. I was also in a room close to the elevators and that is never a good idea as you get quite a bit of noise when the lifts go up and down.

The location of the hotel is good for work as it is located close to many of the main office buildings in downtown Calgary. There is also direct access to Calgary +15 from Westin which is great - the +15 is the skybridge system that connects many of the building together in the downtown area. Note that the downtown area is pretty dead after like 6 pm as most shops and food courts close about this time so just finding a 7Eleven around the hotel was tricky.

Breakfast at the hotel is served at Essence restaurant and it had a pretty decent selection of food. I enjoyed the cereal on offer but they also had an egg station and a selection of bacon, sausages etc. The pool and gym is located at the 20th floor but the gym was smaller than I had expected. But if you want to go jogging you can easily walk over to Prince’s Island to go jogging there.

Conclusion

The Westin Calgary had a great location for me as I was basically working next door. But I was not that crazy about the room itself. There was quite a bit of noise from the lifts next to the room and the room was a bit on the dark side and not very cozy. But thanks for providing me with free wifi and complimentary drinking water. I don’t have experience with other hotels in Calgary so it is hard to compare how Westin is to other hotels – so if I go there again I might try a different hotel.
The beds in the room was quite com…
Desk
TV area
Coffee and complimentary water

The Westin Calgary Overview

Situated in the heart of downtown Calgary, the Westin Calgary is conveniently connected to the business, dining, and shopping districts of the city by the covered climate-controlled pedestrian walkway. It is just 3 blocks away from Chinatown and 7 blocks from the TELUS Convention Center. The Calgary International Airport is just a short drive from the Westin Calgary. Guests also have easy access to the high speed Light Rail Transit (LRT) and the VIA passenger rail station.

All of the Westin Calgary’s 525 guestrooms features triple sheeting, down blankets, comforters, duvets, five down pillows, bathrooms with hairdryers, mini refrigerators, flat-screen televisions, high-speed Internet access for a fee and laptop-compatible in-room safes. Nonsmoking rooms and handicapped access rooms are available.

Completed in 2007, the four diamond Westin Calgary offers a fitness center, an indoor rooftop swimming pool, and in-house laundry service. The hotel also provides concierge services, a 24-hour business center, meeting rooms, and 24-hour room service. There are two restaurants and a coffee shop. Additional amenities include parking, a spa tub and a fitness center with state-of-the-art equipment.

The Westin Amenities

• Wheel Chair Access
  • Fitness Facilities
  • Jacuzzi
  • Massage
  • Internet Connection (wireless)
  • Bathrobes