The Wellington Arch

Hyde Park Corner, London, United Kingdom

The Wellington Arch London Reviews

monoli monoli
London hidden gem Mar 13, 2011
that's the place which is not known very well by Londoners. or not at all. I have to admit I have a real soft spot for it as it's my working place. but I can truly recommend it as I like that place since I went there for the first time, as a visitor. it was a great discovery. in a middle of London but didn't expect one can go inside.

there are 3 floors of exhibitions, history, mostly reading displays but as well two balconies which are the viewing galleries where London can be seen from a different angle. the only place you can see- just a bit- into Buckingham Palace Gardens.

my favourite thing about the arch is the statue at the top of the building, called Quadriga (roman chariot with 4 horses). the angel of peace descending on a chariot of war. one of my favourite statues in London!

the arch is known as the Wellington Arch as used to be a statue of Duke of Wellington at the top of it. Quadriga is there only since 1912.

did you know that the arch had been moved and not standing in hers original position?

if you're interested in few other interesting facts- like arch being the smallest police station in London- just pop in and either ask questions or go straight to the exhibition rooms and read about it!

opening hours:

1st November- 30th March 2010

10am- 4pm Wed-Sun

1st April- 31st October 2011

10am- 5pm Wed- Sun

1st November- 30th March 2011

10am- 4am Sat- Sun
Angel of Peace
Wellington Arch in between green p…
monoli says:
by the way Marble Arch was moved as well- for the grand opening of the Great Exhibition which was in Hyde Park (1851)
Posted on: Mar 15, 2011
monoli says:
there were built at more less the same time- Marble Arch and Wellington Arch (although called the Constitution Arch at that time) as a front and back gates to the Buckingham Palace. so you can say they are the 'sister' arches :)
Posted on: Mar 15, 2011
soonthiam says:
I used to stay near Marble Arch. Never heard of this place. What a shame.Thanks for bringing it to our attention. Cheers!
Posted on: Mar 14, 2011

Related Travel Blogs About The Wellington Arch

London & Wimbledon
    Weekend trip number one from Oxford found many of us on the way to see one of the greatest sporting events in the world: the Wimbledon tennis championships! Me and a group of five …Wellington Arch, the Tower of London, and the Tower Bridge. We also bought plastic swords at the Tower gift shop…

Check London Hotel Deals