The Wawatam Light
Saint Ignace, Michigan
The Wawatam Light Saint Ignace Reviews
The Wawatam Light Jun 26, 2009
Little background information can be found on the Wawatam Light, one of the newest on the Great Lakes. The light sits at the end of the old Railroad Dock in St. Ignace which is located at the northern end of the Mackinac Bridge in Michigan's Upper Peninsula. The 52-foot tower was originally a decorative display at the Monroe Welcome Center before being given to St. Ignace by the state in 2004.
The light takes its name from the 338-foot railcar ferry Chief Wawatam which transported railroad cars across the Straits of Mackinac until the 5-mile long bridge was constructed. The dock was constructed in the 1800's by the Duluth, South Shore and Atlantic Railroad. The track elevator used to align the tracks on the dock with those on the Chief Wawatam is still on site.
With a visibily of 13.2 miles on a clear night, the Wawatam Light can guide northern Lake Huron ships toward the Straits of Mackinac, smaller craft into the St. Ignace City Marina; and in winter, snowmobilers on the ice bridge from Mackinac Island.
Part of the list Lighthouses
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!