The Wadden Sea

Texel, Netherlands

The Wadden Sea Texel Reviews

seraphimkarlien seraphim…
area with beautiful nature Aug 12, 1991
I visited Texel and Vlieland, the two westernmost Wadden islands, when I was a teenager, with my family. We stayed at a campsite on Texel for a week, and took a daytrip to Vlieland.

Texel is good for leasurely walks and going to the beach, which was pretty quiet even though we went in high season. The Ecomare infocentre was quite interesting, especially the seal and bird sanctuary.

I remember the daytrip to Vlieland as one of the highlights of our 2-week trip around the Netherlands. Half of the island is owned by the army. It's there the boat from Texel drops you off, so the boattrip is followed by a truckride to the inhabited half of the island. We had to stop for some time while airplanes did target practice overhead, which as a kid I found quite exciting. The inhabited part of Vlieland is car-free, so we rented bicycles and cycled all around the island before returning to Texel.

The area is perfect for a family vacation, and for people looking for beautiful nature and relative peace and quiet. It's been quite a while since I've been there, but I would definitely like to return some day and explore some of the other islands as well as returning to Texel and Vlieland.
Sweetski says:
Well Karlien, from more recent experience I can tell you Ameland is as nice and quiet as your description of the other islands. Definitely worth a visit.
Posted on: May 25, 2010