The Underground Bakery

via ottaviano, Rome, Italy

The Underground Bakery Rome Reviews

Eric Eric
Nov 13, 2005
I wasn't a big fan of Roman pastries and bread in general (think hard, flavorless bread with no butter), but this place is a welcome exception. I would often stop here on my way to class in the morning, order a fruit tart ("frutta something") and a croissant with chocolate ("cornetto con cioccolato"), then walk a few blocks to the piazza of St. Peter's to enjoy my treats under the shade of the massive columns. I don't know if this place has a speciality, but I particularly like their croissants. You can get them filled with chocolate, vanilla, strawberry, and other types of fruit jam. Compared to other bakeries, it is also extraordinarily cheap. A fresh, medium-sized croissant will only cost you about 35 cents. There is always a short line so it seems to be pretty popular with the locals.
You know you want it.
levingesundheit says:
That croissant type thing you got is exactly what they sell all over Argentina (and to a lesser extend by influence in Chile). It's probably because so many Italians moved to Argentina. Anyway, they call them Media Lunas (half moons), and they taste great, though not the same as croissants. Usually they had a kind of honey glaze. I wish I could eat one right now. They were about the same price.
Posted on: Nov 17, 2005