The Treasure of Hugo d'Oignies

Namur, Belgium

The Treasure of Hugo d'Oignies Namur Reviews

davidx davidx
A 12th century marvel Aug 27, 2010
This is meant to be informative but first I have to advise you to ask somebody else! The website I have given for the Treasure of Hugo d'Oignies gives a different address from where I saw it so I advise checking with the very helpful TIC (+32 (0) 81 24 64 44-47) before you visit.

OK, that's the detail but this treasure is a must-see. Hugo was a goldsmith but his brothers were priests. They founded a religious community in the small town of Oignies, in which Hugo became a monk. Whilst there he manufactured for the community the wonderful items that are now known as his treasure.

(Back to detail. I read about this treasure on a couple of sites before I went to Belgium some years ago. I found that it was being displayed at Musée Provincial des Arts Anciens at Rue de Fer, 24. I informed the sites concerned but my information was ignored and I have NEVER seen anything to suggest it might be where I saw it - until about 3 minutes ago. confirms in English that the treasure has changed hands and if you click on the name of the museum underneath, it gives Rue de Fer 24 as its address. However if yu download the English leaflet, it gives no indication that the treasure is there! I repeat my avice! Check with the TIC)

I wish I felt able to describe the artwork. However you can see some fine pictures on

I am not addicted to gold but I marveled at these and they had a great video about the treasure as well. If you go, I am close to guaranteeing that you will not be disappointed.

Related Travel Blogs About The Treasure of Hugo d'Oignies

Preliminary and general remarks
I read a lot of history - mainly English and European since the French revolution and I was ashamed of how very little I knew about Belgium.  In fact, other than countries that had previously be…Namur called because of the treasure of Hugo d'Oignies and it might be good to spend the other two in the country…

Check Namur Hotel Deals