The Tonga Room & Hurricane Bar

950 Mason Stret, San Francisco, CA, USA

The Tonga Room & Hurricane Bar San Francisco Reviews

Amanda Amanda
Sep 05, 2006
Some people might hope not to get caught in the rain in San Francisco; I however, make a point of it!! Inside the very famous and very stately Fairmont Hotel, on the top of Nob Hill, lies The Tonga Room and Hurricane Bar - Best Happy Hour I've ever found!!!

This place is in the basement of the hotel, and should not be missed. As soon as you walk through the doors, it's like you've entered another planet. It's all decked out like you are in the South Pacific somewhere; the middle of this windowlessroom consists of a HUGE pool of water, complete with a full size grass hut. The lighting is dark but awesome, there are a ton of fake plants, flowers, lava rocks, and ropes tied to wood poles to make it look like you're near the ocean. They go all the way with the theme in here. Then, on a regular basis, lightning flashes, thunder crashes, and rain starts falling from the sky, as you experience your very own Polynesian thunder storm!! (Only into the fake lake, you’ll stay dry).

As I was preparing to write my own review on this funny place, I wanted to skim some others to make sure prices hadn't changed etc. since my last visit in 2003. My favorite quote from another writer's review? "This place is Disneyland on Polynesian crack and I love every tacky ass second of it!" I thought that was so funny I would quote it here.

I am doing this review based on HAPPY HOUR - not going for dinner, which I have never done. If you do happy hour right, this can actually be an affordable way to do a light dinner. You need to pay for two things when you walk through the door here; a 1 drink minimum, ($7.50) and the all you can eat Happy Hour Buffet if you choose ($7.00 plus the aforementioned one drink minimum.)

The Happy Hour Buffet has a ton of stuff;spare ribs, vegetable chow mein, pork buns, pot stickers, chicken drummettes, cheese, fresh fruits and crudités... I like it - it wasn't gourmet, since it was a happy hour buffet, but I really enjoyed my little "Polynesian Feast". If you stick to the one drink (they are famous for their Mai-Tais), and then the happy hour, you'll be at about $20 per person. (I just move on to a soft drink after filling the one drink requirement).

The other thing I love about this place is the chairs are super comfortable, and the tables are nice for talking. It was very relaxing, in the dim setting, sipping your mai tai as the lightning flashes and rain pours into the pool, to just drift away to a different world for a while. What world that is • The South Pacific or a cheesy retro Polynesian theme bar circa 1950 • I leave up to you. Either way, I had a blast.

**This is one of their stock photos they let sites use for reviews and marketing, I did not take this photo**
travelman727 says:
South Pacific or cheesy bar...hmm, this is definitely my kind of place!
Posted on: Sep 05, 2006