The Taj Mahal of Ipoh

Ipoh, Malaysia

The Taj Mahal of Ipoh Reviews

alvinmonteiro alvinmon…
Taj Mahal of Ipoh Jan 04, 2011
I remember I did a research on this building for my History class during high school. This building was built in 1935, based on the Moorish structure as it was also almost the same as the KL Railway Station (the former station before KL Sentral) because it was designed by the same person.

This Station is also known as "The Taj Mahal of Ipoh". While on the 3rd floor is the Station Hotel, which was once a very grand and famous hotel in Ipoh. Sadly, the current owner of this hotel doesn't seem to take good care of this place.But for those who need to transit a morning train to the next destination, a night here would be great.

Across the road, is the Town Hall, the colonial building was also built by the same person. A couple of years ago, there were rumors that the civil department found an underground passage which links few kilometer away to another place. This might be true, as the British army usually made underground passage when fighting against the Japanese.

Today, these two buildings are a few of the many Heritage Building in Ipoh.
The Ipoh Railway Station
There is an Ipoh Tree just outside…
alvinmonteiro says:
Yeah, that's the place Anna & The King was shot. Sad but the entire hotel is closed now.
Posted on: Jun 17, 2011
StupidGuy says:
It has been a long time since I've been to Ipoh. The last time I was there with a friend, we stop by at the restaurant on the 1st floor, I think. The same floor, where it was used in the movie "Anna & The King" with Jodie Foster. We asked the waiter if it is open, since nobody was around. After he said yes, we sat down. The chef came out from the kitchen, he apologize and said he was on strike over pay dispute with the owner, so, he refuse to cook for us..lol. So, we left. If i am not mistaken, it was built around 1914 - 1917 and was design by Mr A B Hubback who works at the Public Works Department at the time, again I might be mistaken with the year.
Posted on: Jun 17, 2011