The Table Cape Lighthouse
The Table Cape Lighthouse Wynyard Reviews
The Table Cape Lighthouse Jun 16, 2008
The Table Cape Lighthouse sits on a sheer cliff surrounded by scenic farmlands on the northwest coast of Tasmania, 7 kilometers from Wynyard. The tower stands 25 meters and is constructed of white painted brick. The original keeper's cottages were built of stone. The light itself stands 180 meters above sea level and its range is 32 nautical miles.
The light came into service in 1888 and was originally powered by an oil burner. A special oil called mineral colza produced a very clear white light and burned with less soot than kerosene. Drums of the fuel were hauled from Wynyard by bullock cart.
Three keepers maintained the fire from sunset to sunrise. The head light-keeper's son, Bertie Jackson, died at the age of 14 months just three weeks after the lighthouse became operational. Bertie's grave can be found nearby where a small memorial has been constructed.
The Table Cape Lighthouse underwent major restoration in 1979. The lighthouse reserve is open to the public, however, there are no tours. There is a good viewing area about a kilometer to the east.
Part of the list Lighthouses
Join TravBuddy to leave comments, meet new friends and share travel tips!