The Stubbs Memorial

108 East Broadway , Lubbock, TX, USA

The Stubbs Memorial Lubbock Reviews

kingsheart kingshea…
The Stubbs Memorial Jun 29, 2008
There is a statue across from the Fair Grounds on East Broadway…Stubbs Bar b que…and a plaque states memorial …. Lubbock Arts Alliance 1999

On the way to Mackenzie State Park, American Museum of Agricultural or American Wind Power Center just across from the South Plains Fair Grounds is a small memorial with a statue. I drive by this place twelve times a week and have wondered what it was so went by and took some photos. After some searching on the internet I found out this was very popular restaurant not only for its food but for the music as well.

The following I took from the web site: “In 1968, Christopher B. "Stubbs" Stubblefield, Sr. opened the original 75 seat Stubb’s Bar-B-Q Restaurant in a small, ramshackle building. The jukebox was filled with vintage Blues music. Owing as much to Stubb’s warm smile as to his barbecue cooking skills, the restaurant soon became the center of Lubbock’s rich musical community. Throughout the 70’s and 80’s, the Sunday Jam Sessions became as legendary as the barbecue.”

There was also one other statement that I laughed at, Mr. Stubblefield was very witty this quote is from Jessie Taylor. "But one of my favorite stories about Stubbs happened one day when I was sitting at the bar. Everyone in the place was black except me. In walks this Hispanic man. He looks at the crowd and then asks Stubbs: ‘You serve Mexicans here?’ Stubbs eyed the man ominously, then answered: ‘No. We serve barbecue here.”

How many statues or small places do you pass by that you never really knew why it was there?

If you’re in Lubbock, Texas you more than likely will pass by this little statue so give a minute and take a look!
kingsheart says:
Posted on: Jul 05, 2008
williamsworld says:
I've been here. When I worked for United Supermarkets, they would fly us up to corprate all the time. We did some ours of the city and this was one of the stops. I still buy his products here in E Texas.
Posted on: Jul 05, 2008