The Stoep

Hong Kong

The Stoep Reviews

inhk inhk
South African & Mediterranean food on the beach Dec 17, 2012
Most people don't know HK is two-thirds countryside. You'll be reminded of this fact at The Stoep.

It serves up African/Mediterranean right on Cheung Sha beach. You can sit in the restaurant which is pretty much open air, or you can sit on a table at the beach. Would definitely recommend reservations if you go on the weekend.

The food is really wholesome and everything is generally grilled/bbq'd or in a dipping style. Things like whole roast chickens, grilled sardines, hummous, baba ganoush, meat platters (Braai), lamb - all yummy with lemon squeezed over the top. The Braai is really tasty but in my humble opinion could be larger. I liked the grilled vegetables as well. If you're vegetarian perhaps not the best place for you, they do have some large but basic salads.

I would give this 4/5 because of the fantastic environment and surroundings. You're on a beach for Chrissake! Enjoy it!

Price - it's not EXPENSIVE but I'd say it's above average. Don't come here if you really, really don't want to spend.

Don't expect luxury - this is a casual restaurant on a lovely, untended beach. The bathrooms are basic, the staff are not exactly perfectly trained, it's a little dirty, but for me herein lies the charm. Though it's not a tourist trap, this is a place where a lot of expats come to 'escape' the city, and they all seem fine with the service and food (and expats are typically quite demanding here).

Cheung Sha is a long stretch of beach, it's usually beautiful and quite clean but after typhoons or rain some rubbish is visible. There are dogs all over the beach (either belonging to the village or with owners) which I rather like as I am a dog lover. If you aren't, well, it's not overflowing with dogs so you should be fine.

The food is pretty good and you will eat some tasty things (sardines, sardines, sardines), but honestly I would just come here to get out of the city. On a beautiful day you literally feel like you're in another country. You could easily while away an entire day over a long lunch, and then stay on for dinner over dusk. I always feel like I'm on holiday when I'm on Cheung Sha.
westwind57 says:
Very nice review KT, i am a frequent visitor to HK and I know there are not too many places like this in HK, especially not where you can sit outside like this... I can imagine the holiday feeling :)
Posted on: Jan 11, 2013