The Stoa of Eumenes

The Stoa of Eumenes Athens Reviews

Johnpro Johnpro
The Stoa of Eumenes ! Jan 02, 2012
History :

The stoa of Eumenes This stoa was the largest construction on the southern slope of the Acropolis being 162 meter (150 yards) long. It ran to the west of the theatre of Dionysos and today, but not originally, reaches the Odeion of Herodes Atticus.

The stoa was constructed by Eumenes II (197-159 BC), a powerful king of Pergamum. In design it looked very much like the Stoa of Attalos that was built by another king of Pergamum. Like the Stoa of Attalus it was double wide and was two stories high. Above the retaining wall was a peripatos (walkway) that runs around the foot of the hill.

The stoa of Eumenes was built of stacked poros stone and hymettian and pergamene marble.

Useful Links :

What around : Acropolis , Plaka , Monastiraki , Theiseio & Arxaia Agora , Kerameikos, and more .

How to go : Just come up from the new Acropolis Museum or come down from Acropolis ! With Metro , acropolis terminal !

Tips :

Opening hours and tickets :

24 hours but visit at daylight , Free no ticket

The photos are mixed from different visits from 2009-2011 !

P.s. I make the review like a small guide ! I know is more better and easier to read ! If you ask me what I like ? I like all of them and love to be a tourist in my city :)

I am not Historical or a Guide , just explore my city :) . Extra information contact with me :). Thanks for reading !

Check Athens Hotel Deals