The State Russian Museum

en.rusmuseum.ru - +7 (812) 595-42-48

The State Russian Museum Saint Petersburg Reviews

odiseya odiseya
State Russian Museum - Note To Future Feb 06, 2017
The Russian Museum is the first state museum of Russian fine arts in the country. It was established in 1895 in St Petersburg by a decree of the Emperor Nicholas II. Its grand opening for visitors occurred on March 19 (March 7, the Old Style) 1898.

The Russian Museum today is a unique depository of artistic treasures, a famous restoration centre, an authoritative institute of academic research, one of the major cultural and educational centers in Russia, and a research and instructional center of art museums of the Russian Federation, overseeing activities of 260 art museums in Russia.

The Russian Museum today is a unique depository of artistic treasures, more then 400000 exhibits. It is also states leading restoration center, an authoritative institute of academic research, a major educational center and the nucleus of a network of national museums of art.

The main complex of museum buildings are the Mikhailovsky Palace and Benois Wing. Bout buildings have the permanent exhibition. The museum collection embraces all forms, genres, schools and movements of art.

The museum complex has grown to include the Stroganov Palace, St Michael's (Engineers) Castle and the Marble Palace. The complex also includes the Mikhailovsky Gardens, Engineering Gardens, Summer Garden (including the Summer Palace) and the House of Peter the Great.

The museum is open daily, except Tuesdays, from 10 a.m. to 5.00 p.m., on Mondays and the days before holidays from 10.00 a.m. to 4.00 p.m.

I am go to the Mikhailovsky Palace. It is the main building of the Russian Museum. The building itself is design by well known architect Carlo Rossi between 1819 and 1825 and it is example of Russian Neoclassical architecture. The Palace was named after Grand Duke Mikhail Pavlovich — the fourth son of the Emperor Paul I. In 1895-98 palace were rebuilt and adjusted for the museum by the architect Vasily Svinin.

I did not visit museum, even is been on my things-to-do list, because is been close when my group visit Art square.
vances vances
Art for miles… Jun 30, 2016
Even though we blew off the Hermitage, a visit to the Russian Museum abolished any regrets. We are in Russia, after all, and the Hermitage’s massive collection seems dominated by Western European pieces. This museum, however, is all about Russian art and resonates strongly, even if the building layout is a bit confusing.

It was easy to forgive confusion, primarily owing to the lack of crowds. Despite dropping in during White Nights, there were far fewer attendees than any other art museum of similar stature I’ve ever visited. Purchasing entrance may have contributed to lack of humanity, however. We found the ticket window easily (entrance charge is only 350 rubles), but nobody was sitting behind the glass. Patiently waiting several minutes, two more ladies (not together) queued behind and I eventually peeked into the window of an adjacent office where a woman was peering intently into a terminal screen. Gesturing towards the unoccupied booth, the woman charged into action, leaving her chair and returning several minutes later with another woman who commandeered her station and got us inside.

The museum does a nice job of laying out the entire art history of the country in chronological order. Although the path winds up and down stairwells, left and right throughout two expansive wings, each room is numbered and if you start at 1, just keep counting up towards present times. And let us not forget we are strolling in a grand former palace (Mikhaylovsky) – the rooms are magnificent and the setting by itself seemed worth the cheap admission. Please remember to look out the windows near the beginning (rooms 10 through 12) to enjoy the fabulous Mikhaylovsky Gardens behind the palace.

I was beginning to appreciate how Orthodox Christian icons were the anchor of Russian art, so no surprise the first few rooms featured these renderings. The vast majority of exhibition pieces beyond icons were paintings, with the occasional sculpture thrown in, until you arrive at the Folk Art space. This is a brilliant collection and I enjoyed the cultural crafts, particularly the wood carvings and porcelain.

Displays become denser as we approach modern times. An interesting array of art pieces during Stalin’s rule reinforce his tight control of media and the power of art: all stick to the party line at face value, but many embedded ingenious sarcasm (all placards are presented in Russian and English, so even an art ignoramus like me could appreciate these subtle points). More recent art clearly criticized Communist policy, but these works had never been publicly displayed before the collapse of the Soviet Union. These freewheeling commentaries are poignant, fun and compelling at the same time.

A great museum, but a quick warning if you have a day-pack like I did. Despite relatively inexpensive ticket prices, every Russian attraction seemed rabid about scanning your stub and only permitting single entry. At the Russian Museum this was a problem when I was forced to check my day-pack in the cloakroom at the entrance. When we reached the end and asked guidance to the cloakroom, an attendant directed us to one beyond the exit at the opposite end of the museum! This was silly because there is no way I would have checked my pack there, but the boo-boo forced me to beg my way back in to reclaim belongings.
All of the early art pieces in the…
Religious renderings at the Russia…
The Russian Museum is staged in Mi…
Another early piece, the "Presenta…

Check Saint Petersburg Hotel Deals