The Spike

Dublin, Ireland

The Spike Dublin Reviews

owenf23 owenf23
What is it? It's a Spike. Apr 18, 2011
Ok... in the middle of Dublin City on the main street 'O'Connell Street' there is a Big mental spike that looks kinda like a lamppost but far taller. It's called the Spire and that's all it is. Now, the history was that there used to be an important monument that was blown up by a bomb a long time ago (Nelson's Pillar in 1966) and finally they decided on what they would put as a replacement.

It lights up in the night time and is just over 120 meters tall. You can't go up it or look out at Dublin from the top. All you can do is walk up to the base and look up at it. So, as tourist attractions go... I wouldn't travel very far to see it. It's a little like a finger sticking out of the ground I suppose and is impressive that they managed to built it. But the question is does the point have a point?

Related Travel Blogs About The Spike

A tour of Dublin from Derek, learning a bit of history, culture, and of course tasting some Guinness
Originally I was just planning to see only a bit of Dublin before heading back to the airport, but after I got on with Derek so well in Paris, I was excited when he said that would be able to show me…Dublin Spire, a HUGE spike that replaced the Nelson Column, which was blown up by the IRA. I didn't know…
Jeff's Whirlwind Dublin Adventure
When Jeff told me that he was coming to Dublin I was really looking forward to it, even if it would only be a few hours on a stopover. He said he would be just as happy if we only sat drinking in the…Dublin Spire, I was able to make the disappointing spike a little more interesting by explaining the history behind it and how Nelson…

Check Dublin Hotel Deals