The Speed Ferry from Egypt to Aqaba, Jordan

Nuweiba, Egypt

The Speed Ferry from Egypt to Aqaba, Jordan Nuweiba Reviews

mickeyd302 mickeyd3…
Dec 23, 2007
I do not know why I chose to take ferry boats during this trip. I cannot swim and usually get vertigo after being out on the sea for any extended period of time. Then again, the my sense of adventure is stronger than case of vertigo.

I was fortunate that the staff of Casa Del Mare were so helpful. The manager had one of their drivers take me to buy my ticket office the morning of my departure. The ticket booth is close to the harbor and anyone hanging out in the area can direct you to where you need to go to buy your ticket. I waited at one window while a disinterested man counted money and generally ignored me for about 10 minutes before taking my money ($80) for the ticket.

I was told the ferry would be leaving at 3pm and I had to be at the harbor 2 hours early. I entered the terminal and had to get my passport stamped that I had departed Egypt and then I waited and waited. I talked with a man from Jordan who told me that the ferry rarely if ever leaves on time. First, all of the cargo must get loaded and then they will let people get on.

We finally started getting on the boat at around 5pm. I had to give my passport to the Jordanian officials on the ferry to get my visa. By the time we actually took off it was dark. The trip itself was ok except for some guy deciding that Euro-disco played on his cellphone was something everyone wanted to hear.

We got off the ferry collected our bags and were rushed off to Passport Control which was a good distance away but a bus was provided. I was next to the last person to get my passport back, but at least I got it back.

Overall, it was not a bad experience, but it did take up the entire day. If you are in a hurry to get from Egypt to Jordan, you might want to fly (Cairo to Amman is about $220 one way). On the other hand, taking a bus from Cairo to the port plus the ferry would be about half the cost.
SoloSister says:
sounds like you having a fantastic adventure!
Posted on: Jan 02, 2008