The Snug Bar

The Fleur de Lys, Saint Albans, United Kingdom

The Snug Bar Saint Albans Reviews

KateJKate KateJKate
Cosy, modern, and chilled out Jan 27, 2012
First time I went here was in September 2011 with my mum and it was warm enough to sit outside! The walled garden area at the back, although quite small, has a cosy feel like the inside, we sat on some comfy chairs and were served by a lovely young guy- although when asked which country the fish came from, his answer did differ to the one on the menu which i found rather disconcerting, probably a simple mistake though!

I had the blackened hoki caesar salad (£7.95) for mains- pan fried with cajun seasoning, which was beautifully crunchy with just the right amount of spice. My mum ate, and enjoyed, the bacon cheese burger (£10.15), quite expensive but its one of the bars signature burgers- made from meat they source themselves mixed with herbs and red onion in a multi seeded bun with lettuce and tomato in it too. You also get a good sized portion of your choice of chips, and coleslaw on the side.

The bar has since introduced a special lunchtime menu, which has a selection of dishes available for £5.95 12pm-5pm Monday-Friday. I took advantage of this the second time I went here on 23rd January 2012, with my friend for lunch. We ate inside this time and sat on the sofas in a quiet alcove, with a radio 1 live lounge cd on in the background- the decor inside has a cosy and modern feel to it with traditional touches here and there such as the wood burner on the back wall and the beams on the ceiling.

We both chose the veggie burger from the lunchtime menu (£5.95) made from different types of bean (doesn't say which ones on the menu unfortunately), tomatoes and peppers on a multi-seed bun with a choice of chunky chips or skinny fries- we both chose the skinny fries, they were nice but went cold quite quickly.

The menu states that you can 'pick up a glass of coca cola, diet coke or schweppes lemonade and get free refills'- what they don't tell you on the menu is that your first glass costs £2.75- and it's a big glass so the chance of wanting a refill anyway is unlikely if you're only going for lunch. I had a regular pineapple juice, again in a big glass and costing £2.75, which lasted the time we were there.

If you get there between 3pm and 7pm there's 2-4-1 cocktails- the drinks menu is extensive, there's shots, regular cocktails, smoothies, iced teas, so really something for everyone. I imagine this place gets really busy at the weekend, and i'm not surprised- although the drinks are quite pricey the atmosphere is lovely- in the day it's the perfect place to have informal meetings with colleagues over lunch and in the evening its the perfect place to indulge in a few cocktails with friends- i'm definitely coming back here again.
Veggie Burger from the Snug Bar's …
millerpins says:
My pleasure x
millerpins says:
My pleasure x
KateJKate says:
thankyou !
Posted on: Jan 27, 2012

Compare St Albans Hotel Rates (0.9km away)

The Snug Bar Map